SOLVED

Re: Lead Status/Contact Status Fix

Go to solution
Oliver_Zosel
Level 3

Lead Status/Contact Status Fix

As others have brought up on the forum, our instance is running into an issue where the "Lead Status" field no longer updates when a person is converted to a contact, and instead a "Contact Status" field is updated (previously NULL while the person was a lead in SF). My theoretical solve is to set up a triggered campaign of waiting x minutes, then updating "Lead Status" to "Converted."

My question is: If the wait period is long enough for the lead object for that person to no longer exist (replaced by a contact), will that start throwing errors every time the campaign goes off?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Oliver,

The best way is really to have both contact status and lead status mapped to one unique status field in Marketo. Support can help you with this.

Another way is to use the "lead is converted" trigger and copy the lead status to the contact status with a data value change flow step.

-Greg

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Devraj_Grewal
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

We have a trigger campaign set up that looks for anytime that a lead is converted or a contact is created directly into SFDC. The flow is to change the lead status to "Qualified" (or it can be "Converted" in your case). This ensures a consistent lead status of "Qualified" for those that are contacts. So far we haven't had any errors with Marketo making the data change.

Iryna_Zhuravel4
Level 8 - Champion Alumni

I wouldn't do that. Nothing stops updating for no reason, it sounds like your salesforce admins made changes to the status field on the salesforce side, so I would look into what and why changed first, and then do all the changes you need in salesforce.

You need to address the root cause of the problem, using Marketo to fix data issues in sfds is really not a good practice

Oliver_Zosel
Level 3

Hi Iryna,

I should clarify, this is a process change we're looking into, the way our Marketo was set up prior to my arrival we had two fields set like this on purpose by the previous owner.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Oliver,

The best way is really to have both contact status and lead status mapped to one unique status field in Marketo. Support can help you with this.

Another way is to use the "lead is converted" trigger and copy the lead status to the contact status with a data value change flow step.

-Greg

Oliver_Zosel
Level 3

Hi Greg,

Have you/people you know done this specific merge? I'd want to see/hear a bit from the user side, as I'd like to avoid data loss/excessive slowdown.