Re: Lead Source Tracking

Anonymous
Not applicable

Lead Source Tracking

Hello,

I am new to Marketo. Kindly help me.
How to track who downloaded whitepaper. i.e. Lead Source in SFDC.
i.e. Leads generated from particular campaign- what is lead source.
How to UTM_Source?

Regards
Rajiv
6 REPLIES 6
Kim_Allen
Level 10

Hi Rajiv,

If you want to know who all has downloaded a particular asset, like a white paper, you wouldn't usually be looking at the lead source. Lead source is normally set to keep the original value and not over-write it. So you may have someone with a lead source of web visit that later downloads the white paper, their source would still be web visit (you may want to check your field management in the admin section to see if yours is configured this way).

The best way to track on a micro level is to make a program for the asset. So you'd have a program in Marketing Activities specifically for this white paper. Here you could also create a SFDC campaign that it syncs to. This way you can see all the leads who downloaded that asset, you'd need to create smart campaigns to change their statuses to download or engage or whatever you're using based on the action of filling out that particular form, etc. If you are looking at tracking code, you can include that utm_source in the filter, there is criteria you can add called "query string" and I'd select contains as the filter.

Hope this makes sense! There's many ways to track and report in Marketo so you just need to figure out if you want to look at high level or micro level data.

Kim
Josh_Perry1
Level 7

Check this guide out http://www.revenginemarketing.com/the-ultimate-guide-to-managing-your-lead-sources/ 

It is pretty good and comprehensive.  It is by one of the other Marketo champs (Jeff Coveney) who presented on this at the summit.  Yes it is gated (it has a form in front of it), but it is a good resource.  You can also check out his presentation from the summit here: http://summit.marketo.com/2014/replay/whats-driving-your-leads-10-steps-to-lead-source-management-analysis/ (This one is not gated).  

Trish_Voskovitc
Level 5

we created a custom field called "most recent lead source" and this is one that overwrites each time someone does something so the original lead source (default in SFDC) always stays the same.
we put them next to each other on the sfdc page layout

then i just add

change data value > most recent lead source = whatever it shoudl be for each campaign i set up

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you everyone!

Kindly forgive me for my basic & obvious questions. From MKTO resources, i did below. Let me know if this is correct. Let me know if below flow will work.

I created landing page-Created a form on Landing page-In form created a hidden field-Selected a URL_Parameter=Lead Source-Now in Landing Page-URL Builder-Available fields-Ticked Lead Source NEW URL ex: 'rajiv.html?lead source=rajiv'.  Now use this NEW URL for promotions-Leads landing on this page-fils up form-lead source=rajiv in SFDC. Is this correct. Will i get to know leads coming form this page i.e. Leads from campaign rajiv. Can i create a view in SFDC with lead source=rajiv & all the leads generated from this campaing will be displayed.

Kindly correct me please.

One more basic query- 'Flow' is attached to a Program & NOT to Email blast. Hope i am correct.

Regards
Rajiv!
Trish_Voskovitc
Level 5

I am having a bit of a hard time understanding what you have done but it sounds like you are potentially talking about 2 different things: having a lead source attributed to form fill out and/or having leads from form fill out be part of a SFDC  campaign. and in regards to lead source not sure if you mean source of lead ie which program person responded to or source of lead ie where you promoted the program (2 different things as well ) (example, lead source = aug 7 webinar-- what they responded to or Lead source =  lnkedin -- where you did your webinar promotion)

Lead Source
Lead Source should be the original lead source for a record in SFDC and it is one of the standard fields in SFDC and marketo typically does not overwrite it. so i cannot say that when you use this URL that the lead source will be overwritten every time  a person responds (you can unblock that field i believe though) for us it is either first program they responded to or source if we purchased name or got by inhouse research.

also you should think carefully about doing this as it is very useful (at least to me) to know where lead came from originally.

you can create Lead and Contact reports with Lead Source as a column and filter.

or maybe you are just doing this for NEW leads so all would be ok?

but if you are talking about just tracking who sent registrants to a webinar for example so need multiple URLs to same landing page so you can trackk, for example, which partner got the most registrants this is what we do: i only look in Marketo for these kind of reports as my sales people don't need to know from whithin salesforce and i use a querystring at end of URLs not a URL parameter as i don't need a field filled out.

Campaign Attribution:
if you just want to know what leads came from a Campaing (say Aug 7 webinar) you can add them to a campaign in SFDC with same/similare name. this is what we do. so if someone fills out form that is part of a marketing campaign they get added to the campaign in SFDC via a flow step. so then you can just look at campaign members in SFDC. we have some custom button on our campaign page layout so says can just click button that says campaign members to see without running a separate report.

this is a lot to take in but hope it helps you think throught the problem to decide what you need -then maybe support can help a bit more or a consultant

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Trish!
Lot to digest 🙂 Need to understand with time.

Hey all,
Let me make it simple, let me share the objective.

Want to launch a campaign to a database. Want to track how many people filled the form from that database only. Now For example today database name is 'Rajiv', Tomorrow Database name is 'John', 3rd Database name is 'Mike'. I want to track  how many people filled the form from database Rajiv. John & Mike respectively. And my MKTO & SFDC is linked. Can i create a SFDC View where i can see leads generated from respective campaign i.e. Leads from 'Rajiv' Leads from 'John' Leads from 'Mike'

Now hope my objective is clear- as i m NEW to MKTO/SFDC i keep researching & find solutions. But let me know easy & correct way to achieve this objective.

Thanks in adavance. & Regrets for basic question.

Rajiv