SOLVED

Lead Source - Tracking traffic sources

Go to solution
Emmanuelle_Biss
Level 5

Lead Source - Tracking traffic sources

Hi Everyone,

I've been looking at many discussions to answer my question; unfortunately, I do not seem to have come across one that answers it all.

I'm trying to track the source of our traffic similarly to the way we can track it on Google Analytics: Direct, Organic, Display, PPC, Social, etc. so I can track the original source of the lead.

Is there any way this can be tracked easily in Marketo? I have read that the tracking could be done through the utm tracking, but for leads coming from Direct or Organic, the source cannot be defined, as there is no URL parameters. How can this be solved?

Thanks for your help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Elliott_Lowe1
Level 9 - Champion Alumni

Re: Lead Source - Tracking traffic sources

Below is the smart list of the smart campaign that sets the value of the Recent Source field to 'Organic Search' when a page visit comes from that source.  If the lead has just been created as anonymous, then I copy the value in the Recent Source field to the Initial Online Source field.  If the lead has just become known (e.g. submitted first form), then I copy  the value in the Recent Source field to the Opt-in Source field.  Once the lead has a won Opportunity,. I stop updating the Recent Source field and that becomes the source of the last touch.  The smart list of the smart campaign that sets the value of the Recent Soruce field to 'Direct Website' has similar triggers and filters, but the Querystring and Referrer constraints are 'is empty' and I do not include page visits where the Referrer starts with our website's home page URL.

Advanced filters(1 or 2) and (3 or 4) and 5
Trigger - Fills Out FormForm Name is any
Querystring not contains 'utm_medium=SEM'
Referrer contains in (3) 'search.yahoo.com'; 'bing.com/search'; 'studyshack.com/search'
Querystring not contains in (8) 'gclid'; 'utm_medium=SocialAds'; 'utm_medium=Display'; ...
Referrer contains in (2) 'google.'; 'duckduckgo.com'
Trigger - Visits Web PageWeb Page is any
Referrer contains in (3) 'search.yahoo.com'; 'bing.com/search'; 'studyshack.com/search'
Querystring not contains in (8) 'gclid'; 'utm_medium=SocialAds'; 'utm_medium=Display'; ...
Filter 1 - Is AnonymousIs Anonymous is true
Filter 2 - Is AnonymousIs Anonymous is false
Filter 3 - Has OpportunityHas Opportunity is any
Stage is not 'Closed Won'
Filter 4 - Has OpportunityHas Opportunity is empty
Filter 5 - Visited Web PageWeb Page is any
Querystring not contains in (9) 'gclid'; 'utm_medium=SocialAds'; 'utm_medium=Display'; …
Referrer not contains in (9) 'gclid'; 'utm_medium=SocialAds'; 'utm_medium=Display'; ...
Date of Activity in past '1 minutes'

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
Elliott_Lowe1

This can be done via a series of smart campaigns for each source type.  You would create a set of triggers / filters that would be specific for the channel and if the lead qualifies, you would set your custom source field to the desired value and/or add them as a member of the appropriate channel program.  We do this at three different times (initial page viist, visit at opt-in and last visit before the Opportunity is closed).

Emmanuelle_Biss
Level 5

Hi Elliott,

Thanks a lot for your reply! OK, I see how you would need to create a series of smart campaigns for each source type. But how can Marketo differentiate the source of the visit? Especially one from Organic vs. one from Direct? Will I need to add a specific Javascript code on all pages of my website?

Also, that is a great idea to do it at three different stages! Do you keep this value unmodified to see the customer's journey (therefore the initial source will never change, no matter how many times the user comes to our website)? I would also need to create 3 new fields: Initial Source, Opt-In Source, Last Visit Source. Is that how you did it?

Thank you again for your feedback

Elliott_Lowe1

Below is the smart list of the smart campaign that sets the value of the Recent Source field to 'Organic Search' when a page visit comes from that source.  If the lead has just been created as anonymous, then I copy the value in the Recent Source field to the Initial Online Source field.  If the lead has just become known (e.g. submitted first form), then I copy  the value in the Recent Source field to the Opt-in Source field.  Once the lead has a won Opportunity,. I stop updating the Recent Source field and that becomes the source of the last touch.  The smart list of the smart campaign that sets the value of the Recent Soruce field to 'Direct Website' has similar triggers and filters, but the Querystring and Referrer constraints are 'is empty' and I do not include page visits where the Referrer starts with our website's home page URL.

Advanced filters(1 or 2) and (3 or 4) and 5
Filter 1 - Is AnonymousIs Anonymous is true
Filter 2 - Is AnonymousIs Anonymous is false
Filter 3 - Has OpportunityHas Opportunity is any
Stage is not 'Closed Won'
Filter 4 - Has OpportunityHas Opportunity is empty
Filter 5 - Visited Web PageWeb Page is any
Querystring not contains in (9) 'gclid'; 'utm_medium=SocialAds'; 'utm_medium=Display'; …
Referrer not contains in (9) 'gclid'; 'utm_medium=SocialAds'; 'utm_medium=Display'; ...
Date of Activity in past '1 minutes'
Emmanuelle_Biss
Level 5

Hi Elliott!

Wow, thanks a lot for this detailed explanation. I will try to implement it and hopefully this will solve my problem!

Thanks again for your help!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Emmanuelle Allibert​  Hey, just wanted to let you know that if you like Elliott Lowe​ 's answer, you should mark it Correct Answer (or Helpful). This will alert others...and also give some points to Elliott.

- Updated at 8:20 this am: Emmanuelle, you also get points if you mark an answer correct : ).

Emmanuelle_Biss
Level 5

Hi Elliott,

Thanks again for the detailed explanation you provided me. I'm currently implementing this smart list for each different type of sources we have, and so far so good

Quick question though, I just realized on your filters at the end, it says:

Querystring not contains utm_medium=xyz

Referrer not contains utm_medium=xyz

Should it be in this case, for Referrer not contains google.; duduckgo.com;search.yahoo.com; etc.?

Thanks!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Emmanuelle Allibert​ - If you like Elliott Lowe​ response hit Correct Answer above. You will both get points : )

Emmanuelle_Biss
Level 5

Hi Scott K. Wilder,

Thanks for the recommendations. No worries, I'll make sure points are attributed when needed.

Thanks!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there,

does this querystring value come through automatically when the form is submitted or does it need to be captured in the form in a hidden field?