Re: Lead Scoring Models

Anonymous
Not applicable

Lead Scoring Models

Hi All,

I am looking for a little more information on lead scoring models. What is a typical pass point to push leads to MQL? In the past, we have done lead scoring based on 100 points. So a lead becomes MQL in two different instances - 1. if a lead completes a contact us form (+100) and 2. if a lead interacts with us enough to reach a combined score of 100. I have seen some posts on here that score contact us forms at +50, so it that the MQL threshold? I would greatly appreciate if anyone would be willing to share some models they have found most effective.

Thanks!

Lauren

Tags (1)
7 REPLIES 7
John_Clark1
Level 10

Hi Lauren,

I'm sure there are some users here that will be happy to share their input, and I wanted to be sure you're aware of the scoring programs you can import from the Marketo Program Library.  This is available by going to Marketing Activities and selecting New > Import Program. There are a couple different scoring models there, and this article has all the instructions for you. Import a Program - Marketo Docs - Product Docs

John

Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Hi Lauren,

I've written about different models on my site. In general, the answer is - it doesn't matter! Unless you are running a predictive scoring tool, you should choose a model everyone agrees on and implement it.

I usually go with scoring, then look at the average scores and determine a threshold. The number is irrelevant. What is relevant is

• Will sales call MQLs?
  • Do they agree that 3 white paper downloads equals 1 contact form (for example)?
  • Are free trials and contact us equals? Should they get immediate attention? Do they?
  • how many page visits should it take to reach MQL? Do they also need to have good demo fit?

You can pick an arbitrary threshold like 100 or 50 or 30 and take the relative values of behaviors and score them to meet the MQL. The matrix model works well if you take time to build it:

Demographics / BehaviorBehavior ABehavior BBehavior C
AYesMaybeNo
BMaybeMaybeNo
CNoNoNo
Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

We have two ways a lead can reach MQL status:

• Lead score > 99 (using both demographic and behavioral data)
  • Fast-track

The majority of our leads are fast-tracked to MQL status.  This includes when someone submits a contact-us form on our website and indicates their relationship with us is either a "current customer" or "potential customer".  Actually, the lead is synced to CRM and placed in a "Evaluation" lead lifecycle status so that the country marketer can manually qualify the lead as an MQL (which prevents accidental MQLs from moving onto Sales).

Another critical channel for us is Events.  We generate a lot of leads at events that are fast-tracked to MQL status and assigned to Sales immediately.

You can either have a specific set of "fast-track" smart campaigns that are listening for specific behavior (in the case of events, the marketer uploads attendees and assigns them with the appropriate program status: either "attended" or "achieved MQL status"), or immediately push them over the lead score threshold by assigning the number of points needed to move to MQL status.  We use the former approach where specific fast-track campaign are built for each scenario:

pastedImage_1.png

Caryl_Mostacho
Level 7 - Champion Alumni

Hi  Lauren Sandheinrich

Have you considered performing a Persona Exercise with your current behavior/demographic scoring program? If you have certain types of leads that you know you want to MQL come up with those different profiles and score them - see what they add up to (eg. based on Demographic Only, based on Behavior Only, based on a combination of Behavior and Demographic). By looking at these, it will give you an idea of what you might want to set  as your Lead Score threshold.

I've seen 100 as threshold before - it's a nice round number so a lot of businesses like to base their points on this number. I've also seen people use scoring bands (a range of points) and will MQL based on what makes up the score (demographic/behavior pts)

Anonymous
Not applicable

Josh Hill​, Caryl Mostacho​, @dan stevens, @john clark

All of you had some great advice! I have two follow up questions.

1. Where does the lead assignment task smart campaign live when a lead crosses the MQL threshold? Is it within the global lead scoring program or does it live in it's own global program or within each marketing campaign program?

2. Do you distinguish between current clients and prospects in anywhere during the lead scoring/MQL process?

Thanks!

Lauren

Caryl_Mostacho
Level 7 - Champion Alumni

Hi Lauren Sandheinrich

What is your CRM? Is it SFDC?

Generally, I prefer to use the native auto-assignment rules in SFDC over using Marketo to assign leads in SFDC, I also don't like to silo leads in Marketo until MQL, I like them to sync right when they are created, that way the DemandGen/SDR team can see any activity these leads may be doing prior to going MQL

In terms of tracking MQLs. There's usually an Operational Program called Lead Lifecycle that tracks all the lifecycle stages of the leads (usually linked up with the Revenue Cycle Model) from Known to Customer. It's in here where you track the lead going to your MQL threshold (whether it's just score based or if there are other factors). And then you can send an alert to the rep that owns the lead to work on the MQL or you can make an interesting moment... lots of choices here.

. If you do a lot of upselling or want to track renewals, some people will zero out the scores on customers when they become customers so they can start tracking until they hit a customer milestone for the renewal or upsell.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Caryl,

Yes, we use SFDC. The information you provided is very helpful. Thank you!

Lauren