Lead Scoring Depreciation/Degradation Best Practices

Anonymous
Not applicable

Lead Scoring Depreciation/Degradation Best Practices

Hello Marketo friends,

We are currently working on making some scoring enhancements and wanted to see if anyone had any tips, best practices, lessons learned, or resources (aside from marketo definitive guide) for score depreciation, specifically with reducing score over time due to inactivity (not including other types of negative scoring such as demographic, career page views etc). We've done this a few different ways in the past, but wanted to see if others' had different experiences and information to share.

• Frequency - How many weeks of inactivity before you reduce score?
  • Fixed score subtraction VS % reduction?
  • How much do you reduce score due to inactivity compared to the relative weight of other values in your scoring algorithm?
  • Smaller, more frequent reductions VS larger, less frequent reductions?

Current No activity definition = has not opened or clicked any emails, not visited any web page, not filled out any form, not score has changed, not campaign was requested.

Current Inactivity Depreciation Rules: Currently, our QL threshold is a score of 100, and we use the following rules for inactivity depreciation, and some internal suggestions to make some more aggressive modifications we have received, which I have my own opinion on but wanted to see what others thought:

• No activity 45 days - If above score = 50 (And lead status not equal to "working"or "opportunity") , reset score to 50.
    • We have had internal suggestion to modify this to 30 days inactive = reduce to 50
  • No activity 90 days - Reset score to 0
    • We have had internal suggestion to modify this to 45 days inactive = reduce to 0

Thanks in advance!

-Gary

4 REPLIES 4
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Re: Lead Scoring Depreciation/Degradation Best Practices

It's up to you. I usually do 45 or 90 days and let the lead run through once every 90 days.

Inactivity is, in my mind, about Lead Behavior:

• Not Clicked AND
  • Not Opened
  • Not Filled Out Form
  • Not Visited Page

the other items like Not Lead Score Changed or Not Program Status changed will depend on those behaviors, so I see no reason to use them. Marketo has a hard time processing these lists, so I try not to over think this one.

As for actual score amount, depends a bit on what your weightings are and how your database skews. Most firms do -5 or -10 every 90 days or so. Think through the implications of this of course.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Josh, do you run this set on ALL four behaviors? And then it's scheduled as a nightly batch that repeats every 30 days?

Aslihan_Ayan_Ha
Level 7

This might be an approach that was tested before, but how you guys done score delay for each element. for example:

TRIGGER: Visited A Key Page

FILTER: Change Behavior Score x points

Wait y days/months

Change Behavior Score -x points

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Gary,

I am trying to accomplish much of what you are trying to do.  I have posted this idea that I think would be relevant to you:

It would allow a percentage-decrease in scoring to better reflect how the conversion-likelihood of a lead drops off with the passage of time.  Please upvote and comment on it if you feel inclined