Lead Score Summed Upon Merge

Anonymous
Not applicable

Lead Score Summed Upon Merge

Could someone please remind me of the current behavior for the current standard Lead Score field when merges occur. Back before Marketo had us replace the old Lead Score field with the one with the "mkto71_Lead_Score__c" api name, it was my understanding that upon merges, Salesforce.com summed the values in the (old) Lead Score field. Marketo doesn't allow SFDC to update the new Lead Score field, so what happens upon merges? Is the Score still summed? And, if so, is it now Marketo that does so rather than SFDC?

Grégoire Michel​ or Sanford Whiteman​ - seems like one or both of you would likely know the answer here.

Thank you!

Denise

P.S. Grégoire Michel​ - Are you coming to Summit?

7 REPLIES 7
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Lead Score Summed Upon Merge

Is the Score still summed?

Not that I know of.

Steven_Vanderb3
Marketo Employee

Should be summed, it's documented here SFDC Sync: Merging a Lead/Contact/Person - Marketo Docs - Product Documentation .  If that's not happening it sounds like something is wrong.

SanfordWhiteman

Not on a Marketo-side merge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the link to the documentation, Steven! So I guess it's Marketo rather than SFDC that does the summing now.

I don't have the right permissions at the moment to a relevant SFDC instance or I would have just tested this. Sandy, it shouldn't matter which entity executes the merge. When you say "Marketo-side merge" are the people being merged only in Marketo? Or did you just mean that you executed the merge from the Marketo side?

Steven_Vanderb3
Marketo Employee

Merge is performed in Marketo -> you decide which score to keep at the merging screen

Merge is performed in Salesforce -> the scores are summed together

That's how it should work.  If you're merging two records syncing between Marketo and SFDC, a merge in one platform will merge the same two records in the other platform.  How the score changes depends on what system you're doing the merge action in.

lorie_witmer4
Level 2

I recall in the past that someone told me its better to do merges in SFDC vs Marketo but I don't recall the reasoning.

We are running into challenges now where SFDC sets the score with the winning record but then when it syncs to Marketo is sums (aka doubles) the score.  Trying to figure out a workaround as this is causing false MQLs to trigger to sales.

Any insights?

SanfordWhiteman

Keep the score copied to a regular Integer field. Then copy it back after a merge.