Lead SFDC Sync State/Country Error

Tara_Rowe
Level 5

Lead SFDC Sync State/Country Error

Hi,

We are constantly getting these errors in Marketo and SFDC that there is a Sync Error. We have looked in Marketo to see why or what is causing the error however everything seems to be displaying correct when we drill down on each individual lead that comes through the report. We have created smart campaigns to clean up the data and look through our Normalize Data program and everything looks to be correct (two letter code). We cannot seem to find the issue, any ideas?

Salesforce Sync Error

Why: Marketo is unable to update Lead in Salesforce.

Error details:

FIELD_CUSTOM_VALIDATION_EXCEPTION: Contact state or province must be the two letter code

Salesforce Sync Error

Why: Marketo is unable to update Lead in Salesforce.

Error details:

FIELD_CUSTOM_VALIDATION_EXCEPTION: Country should be CA for Canada or US for United States

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Lead SFDC Sync State/Country Error

Hi Tara,

You might have to check a couple of leads and their activity log in Marketo. Was the state value a 2 letter code before the lead was sent over to SFDC? If this is happening even if the data was correct indeed, then there might be another possibility though unlikely.

These leads are being rejected by 'validation rules' in SFDC. May be there is some other field based validation being checked in a validation rule but that validation rule is returning 'incorrect message'. This can happen if someone created this validation rule by copying 'state' validation rule and forgot to change the error message. This is unlikely but can happen.

hope this helps

Rajesh Talele

Tara_Rowe
Level 5

Thank you, I am still digging around, as the sync errors keep growing. Our filter is changing it but I cannot seem to figure out where to look to see if there is some other field based validation being checked in a validation rule but that validation rule is returning 'incorrect message' or where "state' may have been copied to rule out this error. Any suggestions how I can check this?

pastedImage_0.png

Yoav_Guttman1
Level 4

did you ever figure this out? we are having the same problem...

if our state list in SFDC is a picklist, how do we remap that to Marketo? What is the best way to handle going from no picklist in SFDC to a picklist in SFDC and stop this error message from popping up?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Salesforce is very picky about state and country, they have to be spelled out (e.g. "California" not "CA", "United States" not "US)

You need to set up Operational campaigns for state and country. It should go in the "OP-Data Management" program, in a folder called "Normalize Data". It's annoying to set up.

Smart Campaign "Normalize State"

Who: ["Lead is Created" or "Data Value Changes (State)"] and "State" is not empty

What: "Change Data Value" ==> If "State" = "AL", Change "State" to "Alabama", If "State" = "AK", Change "State" to "Alaska" etc

Do the same for country too, at least for the main countries you think you'll have leads from.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Trying to build out this workflow right now.. Can you share a screenshot of what it looks like? Not sure if certain parts of this should be in smart list or flow steps?

Jessica_Kao3
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

I had the exact same thing happen.  We found that there was a validation rule on the contact object in SFDC that requires the state to be a 2 letter character and anything that did not have that failed the sync.  You can either remove the rule or normalize the data. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm having a similar issue.

We have the SFDC State/Country pick list restrictions setup for certain states. However I am seeing the same Field_Intergrity_Exception error message when we try to sync a Country/State into SFDC for a Country that has NO State value requirement in SFDC.Screen Shot 2017-03-14 at 12.00.00 PM.png

For example, in our SFDC instance, you must have a valid State when Country = USA; those states are listed in SFDC. However for a Country such as New Zealand we have not built State pick list requirements in SFDC, yet when a Marketo record with Country = New Zealand and State = Auckland is sync'd, we get this Field_Integrity_Exception message.

Has anyone encountered this/know the fix?