SOLVED

Lead Restriction Based On User Workspace Assignment

Go to solution
Raymond_Johnson
Level 5

Lead Restriction Based On User Workspace Assignment

I’m looking for the best way to achieve the following setup for a new Marketo instance where users share a lead partition for contacts/leads but are not able to see a specific contact/lead unless it meets the is specific requirement for the users workspace.

For example: If there was three leads; Lead A, Lead B, and Lead C and they are subscribed as follows:

News – Lead A, Lead B

Promo – Lead B, Lead C

Users with access to the "News" workspace can see Lead A & Lead B, but not Lead C. And, Users for workspace "Promo" can see Lead B & Lead C, but not Lead A.

…and just to clarify we don’t want any duplicates

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Edward_Unthank_
Level 10

Re: Lead Restriction Based On User Workspace Assignment

Hey Raymond,

You'll be able to do this with a Partition Sorting program, which runs through the logic and then through a flow step moves leads to different partitions.

As part of your Lifecycle Processing program, which would sort people as they come into your system, you would create smart campaigns through a Master Router smart campaign that, based on smart list membership, chooses a child smart campaign which actually changes lead values and moves leads into the appropriate lead partition.

I know that sounds a bit cryptic and architectural, but here's a video explanation of a Master Router architecture program I did at Marketo Summit 2015: Architecting a Robust and Scalable Marketo Instance (start the video at 24:57). You'd use that Master Router campaign and just set the rules for membership in the smart lists that drive them.

You'd be creating separate lead partitions based on your business logic—I can't tell from this information exactly what they should be, because there are lots of considerations, but those partitions would make up the whole of your database. Here's a guess:

• Both News and Promo interest
  • Promo interest
  • News interest
  • Default partition (unsorted)

Then the Workspaces, which are assigned one or multiple partitions, would be these:

• Global (all lead partitions)
  • Promo (Promo interest + Both News and Promo interest)
  • News (News interest + Both News and Promo interest)

The smart list for each of these is going to depend on your system proxies for each. Because the Master Router uses cascading logic (if a lead fits into multiple smart lists, the first choice that is a fit is chosen), you'll have to order the choices right, hence why in those bullet points for lead partitions "Both News and Promo interest" is the first possible option.

Marketo doesn't have a big distinction between contacts and leads, so contacts will be assigned to the right partition appropriately in the process.

When you're using lead partitions, you'll always have a greater risk of duplicates. That's a danger of using partitions (or a benefit, depending how you're looking at it)—you're purposefully slicing your database into multiple segments that are intentionally discrete. Just keep an eye on it and set a calendar alert to check duplicate lists for 1 week, 1 month, 2 months, and 3 months after putting these partitions in place. That'll get you to identify problems earlier while you can still identify sources of problems and eliminate them.

Cheers,
Edward Unthank | Founder, Etumos

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Edward_Unthank_
Level 10

Hey Raymond,

You'll be able to do this with a Partition Sorting program, which runs through the logic and then through a flow step moves leads to different partitions.

As part of your Lifecycle Processing program, which would sort people as they come into your system, you would create smart campaigns through a Master Router smart campaign that, based on smart list membership, chooses a child smart campaign which actually changes lead values and moves leads into the appropriate lead partition.

I know that sounds a bit cryptic and architectural, but here's a video explanation of a Master Router architecture program I did at Marketo Summit 2015: Architecting a Robust and Scalable Marketo Instance (start the video at 24:57). You'd use that Master Router campaign and just set the rules for membership in the smart lists that drive them.

You'd be creating separate lead partitions based on your business logic—I can't tell from this information exactly what they should be, because there are lots of considerations, but those partitions would make up the whole of your database. Here's a guess:

• Both News and Promo interest
  • Promo interest
  • News interest
  • Default partition (unsorted)

Then the Workspaces, which are assigned one or multiple partitions, would be these:

• Global (all lead partitions)
  • Promo (Promo interest + Both News and Promo interest)
  • News (News interest + Both News and Promo interest)

The smart list for each of these is going to depend on your system proxies for each. Because the Master Router uses cascading logic (if a lead fits into multiple smart lists, the first choice that is a fit is chosen), you'll have to order the choices right, hence why in those bullet points for lead partitions "Both News and Promo interest" is the first possible option.

Marketo doesn't have a big distinction between contacts and leads, so contacts will be assigned to the right partition appropriately in the process.

When you're using lead partitions, you'll always have a greater risk of duplicates. That's a danger of using partitions (or a benefit, depending how you're looking at it)—you're purposefully slicing your database into multiple segments that are intentionally discrete. Just keep an eye on it and set a calendar alert to check duplicate lists for 1 week, 1 month, 2 months, and 3 months after putting these partitions in place. That'll get you to identify problems earlier while you can still identify sources of problems and eliminate them.

Cheers,
Edward Unthank | Founder, Etumos

Raymond_Johnson
Level 5

Thanks Edward, This seems to be exactly what I'm looking.