SOLVED

Lead Partitions & SOAP API

Go to solution
Greg_Achenbach
Level 1

Lead Partitions & SOAP API

Is there a way to deliver to a specific lead partition using the SOAP API?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Lead Partitions & SOAP API

No, I believe that is not possible to do directly. You need to work around that using the lead assignment rules. Consider setting up the lead assignment rules to work off a custom field, which you would then update through the SOAP API.

For example, create a field called Target Partition. Set up your lead assignment rules to say "If Target Partition is X, Assign to Partition X. If Target Partition is Y, Assign to Partition Y... etc" Then when you push your leads through the SOAP API, you have your apps populate the Target Partition custom field and then the lead assignment rules will route them appropriately.

Just keep in mind that lead assignment rules also affect leads coming in through CRM, so you likely will need to add extra choices to accommodate those leads, which will not come in with that custom field populated.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

The lead assignment rules in Admin control the initial partition for leads inserted through the SOAP API, I believe, so you don't need to specify that when you upsert.

Greg_Achenbach
Level 1

This is helpful thank you, let me expand on my question.  We have users of our product that have multiple lead partitions in Marketo, they want to pick which partition leads should be delivered to for each app they create in our platform, so sometimes they want to deliver to partition A, sometimes partition B, etc.  Is it possible for us to control which partition a lead is supposed to be delivered to using the SOAP API?

Anonymous
Not applicable

No, I believe that is not possible to do directly. You need to work around that using the lead assignment rules. Consider setting up the lead assignment rules to work off a custom field, which you would then update through the SOAP API.

For example, create a field called Target Partition. Set up your lead assignment rules to say "If Target Partition is X, Assign to Partition X. If Target Partition is Y, Assign to Partition Y... etc" Then when you push your leads through the SOAP API, you have your apps populate the Target Partition custom field and then the lead assignment rules will route them appropriately.

Just keep in mind that lead assignment rules also affect leads coming in through CRM, so you likely will need to add extra choices to accommodate those leads, which will not come in with that custom field populated.

Greg_Achenbach
Level 1

Thank you Kristen.