SOLVED

Lead Modification Tool

Go to solution
Robb_Barrett
Marketo Employee

Lead Modification Tool

Just a question here - does anyone have a solution in place to look up leads and modify information?  I have a request for such a tool and I don't know that i want to link them to the Lead Form.  I would prefer to be able to create a form with limited modification options.  I need something where the internal user could look up a lead record by email address / product (we create dupes) and then make modifications to the record.

For example, a tradeshow. We enter the lead and, after talking to the lead, we later want to send the lead to sales. So we look up the lead, modify the record in such a way to send to sales and save so future workflows kick off.

Does anyone have an example to demo?

Robb Barrett
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Lead Modification Tool

It's straightforward -- I would say too straightforward, since it makes it seem like a harmless concept -- to use the REST API for a simple data management form.  The fundamental problem is that you will use 1 API call for every lookup and 1 API call for every update.  The API is not good for singleton stuff like this. Any such form would need to be tightly regulated against overuse (legit, accidental, or malicious). 

A better way to implement it would be to keep an offline store of your Marketo DB and let people manage the offline copy, then periodically flush changes to Marketo, allowing for batch updates. Of course this means updates will not be real-time.

If you didn't create dupes, I would have suggested a Marketo LP + form.  That won't work for the 2-part key.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

I would look into tools like DemandTools and RingLead or Lean Data.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

It's straightforward -- I would say too straightforward, since it makes it seem like a harmless concept -- to use the REST API for a simple data management form.  The fundamental problem is that you will use 1 API call for every lookup and 1 API call for every update.  The API is not good for singleton stuff like this. Any such form would need to be tightly regulated against overuse (legit, accidental, or malicious). 

A better way to implement it would be to keep an offline store of your Marketo DB and let people manage the offline copy, then periodically flush changes to Marketo, allowing for batch updates. Of course this means updates will not be real-time.

If you didn't create dupes, I would have suggested a Marketo LP + form.  That won't work for the 2-part key.

Robb_Barrett
Marketo Employee

Yeah, there's really no good way in Marketo. I used to work with Adobe Campaign (Neolane) and the ability to query the DB was excellent. I miss that.

Robb Barrett