Lead Created Date Problem in Smart List

Sean_Hardaker
Level 3

Lead Created Date Problem in Smart List

UPDATE 1: Reading over my question, it boils down to this: How can a "lead is created" trigger with a "created date: between 09/1/2016-09/30/2016" have triggered for a lead on October 4th? The lead in question was Unknown in September but became Known in October.

UPDATE 2: The lead was not previously merged.

UPDATE 3: A filter for "lead was created" in October returns the lead in question

ORIGINAL QUESTION:

i have a series of programs which record the source of new leads from my various marketing channels.  They are organised by month eg:

SeptemberOctober
201609 - Adwords201610 - Adwords
201609 - Facebook201610 - Facebook

I have an unknown lead with a first touch via adwords in September (201609) who then returns via Facebook in October (201610) where he becomes known.

The lead has '201609 - Facebook' set to it's acquisition program using the rule:

ALL filters apply(1 and 2 and 3 ...)
Trigger - Lead is CreatedCreated Date between '2016-09-01' - '2016-09-30'
Filter 1 - utm Source MKTOutm Source is 'facebook'

This is his activity log:

04/10/2016 05:04New LeadLead name: "example name", source: Web form fillout
04/10/2016 05:03Change Program StatusSkipped Cannot add an anonymous lead to a program
04/10/2016 05:03Visit Web Pagedomain.com/resources/the-resource-url/(source is facebook - the date is oct)
12/09/2016 22:48Visit Web Pagedomain.com(source is adwords - the date is sept)

Here's a summary of my questions and thoughts:

• FYI This is not a question about which acquisition channel is 'correct' as you see it. It's a technical question about Marketo triggers and filters.  Please don't tell me I should be setting awords as the acquisition program under a first touch model
  • Marketo started recording the lead in september as an anonymous lead visiting a webpage. Does this count as a lead being created? Would the "Lead is Created" trigger activate for this?
  • The smart list in the '201609 - Facebook' program I outlined above did trigger in October for this lead.
  • The field "utm Source" with the value as 'facebook' would only have been set in October when the lead visited the site via facebook. The date on the trigger is for a lead created in september. How could these smart list rules have been satisfied?

Thanks for any help
Sean

2 REPLIES 2
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Re: Lead Created Date Problem in Smart List

Hi Sean,

The "lead is created" is normally the date at which the lead became know in the DB, AFAIK, not the date/time at which the first activity was recorded.

-Greg

Sean_Hardaker
Level 3

Re: Lead Created Date Problem in Smart List

that should have been in October then, not september.  It was "Lead is Created" with the date range of september that triggered for this lead.