Launchpoint and Webhook

Please explain the usage of Launch Point and Webhook in Marketo Support

Neha Verma
5 REPLIES 5
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Launchpoint and Webhook

This is far too broad a question.

Both of these areas are covered quite well in the Marketo Docs and in past Nation posts.

Is there a specific question you have?

Jay_Jiang
Level 10

Very broad question, so I'll broadly answer it according to my opinion

Webhooks are a 'set your own endpoint', 'Do-It-Yourself', 'one per trigger' way of communicating with cloud platforms (and even your own Marketo instance)

Launchpoint is where you can install managed webservices that make use of an API user, kind of like webhooks taken care of for you

Neha_Verma__1GD
Level 2

What I understood is –

Webhooks are how we react to a particular action.

However, Launchpoint will be like a Web Application that have reserved set of actions that work basis different actions.

I am a beginner in Marketo. And want to understand these thing, there usage (How and where they can be implemented). Please help in understanding the same in easiest way. As I go through docs.marketo but that was too vast and need some credential to understand it completely.

Neha Verma
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Webhooks are how we react to a particular action.

There's no reason not to use Marketo's own terminology here.

Webhooks can be called from Marketo trigger campaigns. They're used to connect from Marketo to external HTTP services. Those services need to be equipped to receive webhook-style requests and return JSON or XML responses, what we call "stateless" HTTP services. They operate on one Marketo person (lead) at a time, like all flow steps.

Launchpoint isn't really a thing. It's not a web app, and it's not an API. It's the place in the Marketo UI where you set up REST API credentials for external applications that will connect to Marketo, using Marketo REST API endpoints (and API calls) only. It's not really different from the Roles or Users sections of the UI. It's confusing because "Launchpoint" is also the name of the partner community area for apps that maybe/sort-of/slightly integrate with Marketo, not necessarily even using the REST API. Within the Marketo UI you should not consider Launchpoint to be a "feature". What's significant is it is the way of granting outside people access to the Marketo REST API.

Neha_Verma__1GD
Level 2

Thank you for the detailed explanation. Will come back with more queries on the same.

Neha Verma