SOLVED

Re: Landing Page Domain Name Set Up

Go to solution
mhardy
Level 2

Landing Page Domain Name Set Up

Hello All,

I have been trying to set up my landing page domain and I cant seem to figure out how to do it. We currently are using godaddy as our host and I need help understanding what to use for the cname set up.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

A CNAME, or Alias, DNS record has 3 fundamental parts:

1. the left-hand-side, a.k.a. the alias or label, a.k.a. the value that's looked up
  2. the right-hand-side, a.k.a. the CNAME, a.k.a. the result of a lookup
  3. the time-to-live, a.k.a. TTL

Here are some examples:

www.example.com   7200  IN CNAME someothername.example.com
pages.example.com 86400 IN CNAME app-9123.example.info
pages.example.net 86400 IN CNAME app-9123.example.info

The IN CNAME part is going to be the same for all CNAME records (and may not even be shown in a given DNS host's UI).

The TTL is in seconds and determines how long the right-hand-side (CNAME result) will be cached. During that period, if a server already has a result, the lookup will not run again; the previous result will be reused. You can start with a low TTL value while you're making sure things work. Then work toward at least a day (86400).

The left-hand-side is the Alias: that's your Marketo LP domain.

The right-hand-side is the CNAME: that's the canonical name, meaning the "real name" of your LP domain. This is your Account String, followed by .mktoweb.com.  You get your Account String from the Marketo UI, under Admin » Integration » Landing Pages » Settings. If your Account String is blahzay then the CNAME is  blahzay.mktoweb.com,

View solution in original post

SanfordWhiteman

Although their terms are wrong, the "host" is the Alias and the "points to" is the CNAME.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
SanfordWhiteman

A CNAME, or Alias, DNS record has 3 fundamental parts:

1. the left-hand-side, a.k.a. the alias or label, a.k.a. the value that's looked up
  2. the right-hand-side, a.k.a. the CNAME, a.k.a. the result of a lookup
  3. the time-to-live, a.k.a. TTL

Here are some examples:

www.example.com   7200  IN CNAME someothername.example.com
pages.example.com 86400 IN CNAME app-9123.example.info
pages.example.net 86400 IN CNAME app-9123.example.info

The IN CNAME part is going to be the same for all CNAME records (and may not even be shown in a given DNS host's UI).

The TTL is in seconds and determines how long the right-hand-side (CNAME result) will be cached. During that period, if a server already has a result, the lookup will not run again; the previous result will be reused. You can start with a low TTL value while you're making sure things work. Then work toward at least a day (86400).

The left-hand-side is the Alias: that's your Marketo LP domain.

The right-hand-side is the CNAME: that's the canonical name, meaning the "real name" of your LP domain. This is your Account String, followed by .mktoweb.com.  You get your Account String from the Marketo UI, under Admin » Integration » Landing Pages » Settings. If your Account String is blahzay then the CNAME is  blahzay.mktoweb.com,

mhardy
Level 2

SO what do I put in the host and points to part of the cname creation?

SanfordWhiteman

Although their terms are wrong, the "host" is the Alias and the "points to" is the CNAME.
mhardy
Level 2

mhardy_0-1614814640280.png

Is this the correct setup for the cname changes or should it be filled the other way?

SanfordWhiteman

Most likely correct, but what are the column headers? Need to see those.
mhardy
Level 2

mhardy_0-1614816148242.png

Here are the column headers that will line up with the first image.

SanfordWhiteman

Then that is the correct setup, yes.
mhardy
Level 2

mhardy_0-1614865927615.png

I am still getting this error.

SanfordWhiteman

Both go.getinsite.io and em.insite.io are incorrectly set up as A (host) records currently.

Maybe you also have them entered in the A record section, but your DNS provider's UI isn't stopping you from having them in both places, but is only serving the As (it's impossible for them to be hosts and aliases at the same time).

You haven't provided enough information to see the whole picture, though. I'd recommend you work with an experienced DNS person to make you're looking in the right place. You may not even be in the right provider's control panel... unless you have some examples of other changes that are taking effect. Bear in mind that, on the wire, DNS works the same way regardless of what provider you use: it's an established set of standards.  But providers get strange/bad ideas about "dumbing down" their user interfaces sometimes, which causes more harm than good.