SOLVED

Re: Keep the highest lead score when attaching a lead to an existing contact

Go to solution
Marie_Ligier
Level 4

Keep the highest lead score when attaching a lead to an existing contact

Hi,

Our Sales and Marketing teams convert leads into contacts in Salesforce, and in many cases there's already an existing contact to which they can attach the lead.

But when a lead is attached to the contact, the contact's score value prevails. I would like to update the contact score if the lead score is higher (for example, the lead I am converting had a score of 50 and the contact has a score of 10, I would like the score to be 50 after I've attached the lead to the contact upon conversion).

The problem is that my field "score" in Salesforce is already a formula that adds "behaviour score" and "lead score", and I need to keep that addition so I can continue updating the score !

Has anyone already faced this issue?

Thanks!!

Marie
Marie
Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Marie,

Marketo is not able to compare 2 scores and keep the highest one. This is something you need to manage in salesforce.

The total score is computed, so you do not need to tale care of it. As soon as the Behavior Score and the Demographic Score will be correct, so will the Total score.

Usually, the demographic score is recomputed each time the lead or contact is updated, so you do not have to bother for it either.

The hard point is keeping the highest behavior score. To do that, you will need to access an SFDC admin. You will create 2 fields (one in lead, one in contact) both called "Lead Conversion Behavior Score" and map them so that when converting the lead, it's value is pushed to the contact. You will also need a workflow in the lead object that copies the Behavior Score to that new field each time the lead is updated. Once this is done, you will have your lead score pushed to the contact in the "Lead Conversion Behavior Score". Then you will need a workflow in the contact object that, when the contact is created or updated, compares both the Contact's Behavior Score and the Contact's Lead Conversion Behavior Score and stores the highest value in the contact's Behavior Score.

One of the issues you will have is to make sure that this workflow in the contact object triggers only once, when the contact is created or updated (at it may already exist). So uou will also need a checkbox field in the lead and the contact, default unchecked in contact and checked in the lead and mapped together Let's call this field "Lead Conversion". The contact workflow decribed above that will trigger the field comparison should trigger only when this field is set to True and should set this field back to False. Thanks to this trick, the workflow will only trigger when the contact is updated or created upon lead conversion.

Hope this helps,

Sorry, it seems complex, but we are in the advanced techniques, aren't we? 🙂

Have fun.

-Greg

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Marie,

Marketo is not able to compare 2 scores and keep the highest one. This is something you need to manage in salesforce.

The total score is computed, so you do not need to tale care of it. As soon as the Behavior Score and the Demographic Score will be correct, so will the Total score.

Usually, the demographic score is recomputed each time the lead or contact is updated, so you do not have to bother for it either.

The hard point is keeping the highest behavior score. To do that, you will need to access an SFDC admin. You will create 2 fields (one in lead, one in contact) both called "Lead Conversion Behavior Score" and map them so that when converting the lead, it's value is pushed to the contact. You will also need a workflow in the lead object that copies the Behavior Score to that new field each time the lead is updated. Once this is done, you will have your lead score pushed to the contact in the "Lead Conversion Behavior Score". Then you will need a workflow in the contact object that, when the contact is created or updated, compares both the Contact's Behavior Score and the Contact's Lead Conversion Behavior Score and stores the highest value in the contact's Behavior Score.

One of the issues you will have is to make sure that this workflow in the contact object triggers only once, when the contact is created or updated (at it may already exist). So uou will also need a checkbox field in the lead and the contact, default unchecked in contact and checked in the lead and mapped together Let's call this field "Lead Conversion". The contact workflow decribed above that will trigger the field comparison should trigger only when this field is set to True and should set this field back to False. Thanks to this trick, the workflow will only trigger when the contact is updated or created upon lead conversion.

Hope this helps,

Sorry, it seems complex, but we are in the advanced techniques, aren't we? 🙂

Have fun.

-Greg
Marie_Ligier
Level 4

Thanks Grégoire!

Still there's an issue when a second lead is created, after I already attached one to the contact :
the "Lead Conversion" checkbox will be already checked, so the score won't be updated. Any idea for that case?
Marie