Re: Issues with random samples in round robin lead assignment

Mike_Marzeotti
Level 2

Issues with random samples in round robin lead assignment

In order to keep our lead database healthy, we built 2 programs in our instance: a lead wash and a lead attribution program. The lead wash program identifies leads who have had no activity in 120 days, and the attribution program reassigns them when they engage with our content or answer one of our phone calls. 

We're running into an issue where the attribution program is not assigning these leads evenly. We have 20 lead owners entered into the 'Change Owner' flow step, with 19 supposedly receiving 5% of the leads, and the 20th as the default choice who should also recieve 5%. 64 leads have gone through. Each of the choices received 2-3 leads, except for the default program, which received 11.

I found this thread where it looks like someone else was experiencing the same thing, but there's no other helpful info.

https://nation.marketo.com/thread/41705-round-robin-assignment-in-marketo

I attached some screenshots of our smart list and flow step. Can anyone help me figure out why these leads aren't distributing evenly?

Thanks!

pastedImage_1.png

pastedImage_2.png

pastedImage_3.png

10 REPLIES 10
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Can you remove the attachments and paste the images inline instead? Not all Community users can view attachments.

Josh_Pickles
Level 7

Hi Mike,

Thanks for following Sanford's recommendation - however, your images are no longer displaying. Can you please try re-uploading them to appear inline?

Mike_Marzeotti
Level 2

Thanks Josh and Sanford, images have been added back in and seem to be displaying.

Mike_Marzeotti
Level 2

Sanford WhitemanJosh Pickles‌ Did you folks have any ideas about what might be causing this issue?

SanfordWhiteman

You can't trust multiple separate batch jobs to result in even distribution of leads.

Also, remember that randomness in general isn't the same as round robin assignment. Randomness only starts to approach even distribution given enough volume. There's nothing inherently non-random about the sequence 1,1,2,3,4,4.  If you want round-robin, you can use a webhook to call a service that always assigns 1,2,3,1,2,3.

Mike_Marzeotti
Level 2

Thanks Sanford, that makes sense. I'll start learning more about Webhooks and how to use them.

Amanda_Giacobas
Level 2

Hi Sanford, 

I also have a similar issue and looking to implement round-robin lead assignment. In order to use a webhook to do round-robin assignment, is there a particular service we would need to purchase, or is there something you know of available already to Marketo customers? 

Thanks for the extra clarification on how to set up a webhook for this purpose! 

Amanda

SanfordWhiteman

...is there a particular service we would need to purchase, or is there something you know of available already to Marketo customers? 

There's something I know of, but can't name it due to Community guidelines. 

Mike_Marzeotti
Level 2

Is the thing you know of linked in the first comment of this thread?

https://nation.marketo.com/thread/39280-best-way-to-automatically-assign-an-agent