SOLVED

Re: Issue Adding Web Page Information to Interesting Moment

Go to solution
michellechopin
Level 5

We use the Marketo form for the submission button but the rest of the form is built by our web team - it's a progressive form that collects a few pieces of information before the visitor submits their contact details.

Here's the main form in Marketo:

MichelleK_0-1607367739905.png

And here's the button element so you can see that the rest of the form isn't built there:

MichelleK_1-1607367765557.png

Do we think that's the reason why I can't use the IM to its full extent? If so, then I won't keep trying to update things on my end at this time (we currently have a huge website project in place and I may look to change this if we can get the same style of progressive form going with Marketo vs designing it in the site).

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

We use the Marketo form for the submission button...

You don't, though. There's no Marketo form on the page, hidden nor visible.

michellechopin
Level 5

Checking in with our Web Team we use a middle API that the forms integrate into so that might be what is preventing the form from showing as Marketo - I wasn't part of the set up for Marketo within our website so I am getting clear on that in the coming days. 

I'll assume for now that this API and set up is likely causing the issue with the URL being tracked in the IM for MSI.

Thanks for all your investigation and help!

SanfordWhiteman

Yes, but if they're using the form /save or /save2 endpoint to do a server-side form post this whole function is being removed. So it's quite urgent that they pay attention to alternatives.

michellechopin
Level 5

I didn't get a notification to your last update, @SanfordWhiteman - apologies for not replying until now!

I had a great chat with one our web developers who gave me some huge insight for our forms set up and how they work. We use Marketo to set up the main button for the form, our Web Team sets up the form on our website, and an API connects the two, which is likely what throws a wrench in for using that Trigger token.

With that, we considered using the SFDC field that gets populated when someone fills out a form. I populated Lead.Website URL into the Interesting Moment and it was able to pull the data into Marketo. Going to work to update all of my IMs for these forms and backfill data so that we have more information/history on leads who have filled those forms out to date.

Many many thanks for your help on troubleshooting this - I learned a lot! 😀

SanfordWhiteman

How long has this been set up this way? There's only been a Submit Form API endpoint for ~2 months.

michellechopin
Level 5

We've had Marketo since 2018 and the form (button) we use was created in May of the same year.

While I'm unfamiliar with the Submit Form API endpoint, I saw the code used to pull in form details and it looks like it might be custom - the web developer who created/manages it connected with me for any additional updates we might need for future form uses throughout the site.

While we're likely to keep this for our standard/existing forms, I'd like for our marketing team to own forms and landing pages in Marketo or Unbounce.

SanfordWhiteman

There's no way, other than the brand-new, just-came-out Submit Form API endpoint, that you can be producing Filled Out Form activities without using the standard forms /save or /save2 endpoints.

That is, custom code must either

1. hit /save or /save2 (both of which are going away) or
  2. use the Forms JS API (which is only "custom" in the sense that you're plugging into the documented event model, you're not putting the form data on the wire yourself)
michellechopin
Level 5

I don't disagree with you about the possibilities.

Without any context of what things looked like when the form came about and not being a web developer myself, I can't confidently state either way. I just know that the Submit button is the only thing I can edit/adjust in Marketo and that's what the API uses to push form data through to Marketo and onto Salesforce.

Not having control over the form certainly makes for some additional challenges in general but this is a much bigger process than me, and we're moving to a CMS-friendly website this year so we may change the process for these forms. As mentioned before, I'd definitely like to ensure that any other future forms are marketing-owned!

SanfordWhiteman

Well, you definitely need to make sure you're using the option 2 above, or it's going to stop working this year before you get a chance to change!