Re: Is there a way to automatically add myself to every email campaign?

If you want to monitor all emails that go out, just add yourself as a subscriber to all mailing lists you have. But if you are a final person that confirms the emails before they are sent, as said, that is impossible to automate. Simply because the email setup is not standardized - sometimes you have all set in one go, next time you are fixing typos after 7th review. Just tell your team to send you final test email for every campaign.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Even if you could do it, you would be limited by the communication limits.

-Greg

Karyn_Hill
Level 4

Marketo helped us set up an exception for our employees so that we're not caught by the daily or weekly communication limits. Our users are supposed to add the smart list for our department to every email they send. Most do, most of the time, but some forget and others think it's stupid so they don't do it. But I get every one of them that I'm copied on, which is often in excess of 10 per day. I'm able to make sure our templates are meeting everyone's needs.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Karyn

Marketo helped us set up an exception for our employees so that we're not caught by the daily or weekly communication limits.

Support did this ? Can you provide more details to the community on this ?

-Greg

Kevin_Weisenber
Level 4 - Champion Alumni

I would love to hear more details about this as well, thanks!

Karyn_Hill
Level 4

First he (Scot Mealy, our amazing consultant) shut down the usual communication limits by setting them both to unlimited. Then he created smart lists to perform the same function and a smart list for employees to use as an exclusion list. He did that for both the daily and weekly limits. When he got it set up I realized it's one of those things that's so obvious, hardly anyone would think of it.

Capture1.PNG

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

OK, got it, but it's not fully equivalent.

1. it can be overridden by careless users
  2. It works on fixed reset dates and times (once per day, once per week), while the communication limits works on a rolling basis. For instance, if I send an email at 10:00, and my daily limit is 1, the lead cannot be sent until 9:59 the following day.

-Greg

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

+1, that's hardly equivalent to communication limits -- would never trust people to follow that procedure.

Karyn_Hill
Level 4

1. Careless users should be retrained or removed
  2. My mistake, I should have shown the full info, rather than just the part that excludes our employees (which is what we were talking about)

For Sanford Whiteman​: There's no procedure for anyone to follow. This is automatic and our users only know that there is a daily and weekly limit and if their members start hitting it, they need to send fewer emails.

Daily_Limit_1.png

Weekly_LImit_1.png

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

The procedure I was referring to is the unseen one where you build out the wider Smart Campaigns that would mirror how Communication Limits™ work, which this approach doesn't really do.

CL™ (i.e. the built-in feature) uses a sliding window of email frequency.

If I want to send to someone every Monday and Friday, unless I send a 3rd email during the week, I can set the limit to 2 emails every 7 days and they will normally get the regular M+F emails, except the F email will be skipped if I sent a midweek update.  With a pseudo-limit like the one you show above, if I set them to 2 every 7 days, then if there's a send on a given Thursday, not only will they not get the Friday send, they also won't get the Monday.

There are of course an infinite number of other examples, and also lots of cases where both CL™ and your custom pseudo-CL function identically.

This is not to say your method wouldn't be useful, but in order for it to reproduce the built-in feature it needs to be far more complex, to the point that it becomes near-impossible to make sense of (even if it's a one-time setup).

In general I try to keep away from saying certain long-screamed-for Ideas can be implemented successfully in userland, because it's important to keep pressure on the product team (see also: attempts to deal with mail scanners via Smart Campaigns alone, CCs via Alerts, etc.).