SOLVED

Re: Is there a limit to the frequency records can sync between Marketo and Salesforce?

Go to solution
Nathan_Hutchiso
Level 1

Is there a limit to the frequency records can sync between Marketo and Salesforce?

I was testing around our Marketo-Salesforce sync, and I noticed something peculiar.  When I update a record in one system, it will update to the other one fine when I do it once.  But when I update the record again after the sync cycle, the record does not push.  Is there a limit to the frequency records can sync between Marketo and Salesforce?

More Details:

An example: I changed a field in Salesforce and the record updated in Marketo in the next cycle.  However when I updated the same field on the same record a little while later (after the first sync cycle completed), the record does not sync at least for a little while.  Not sure the exact time frame when it works again, but I know that if I update the record the next day it works. I also tried changing another value visible to the Sync User and it still did not push.

I noticed the same happens when I change a record in Marketo.  If I update a field, it will push to Salesforce the next sync period.  But when I try to update the record again a little while later, it does not even try to update to Salesforce.

I tried to figure out why this was happening on my own, but did not see anything.  Is there some limitation that prevents a record from updating multiple times in a short period? Or do you think this is another issue altogether?

Thanks in advance for any advice/help!

Photos:

Salesforce Update Time:

tanner1.png

Working Sync:

workingsync.png

Marketo Update Time:

marketorecentupdate.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Nathan_Hutchiso
Level 1

Re: Is there a limit to the frequency records can sync between Marketo and Salesforce?

As it turns out there is no limit to the frequency records can sync between systems. The issue I was facing was due to a sync filter that was preventing the records from syncing.  The record was able to update between the systems fine when the sync filter flag let it, and stopped syncing either direction when this changed.  I forgot that the sync filter continuously impacts the system, it does not just work during the initial sync.

I found this out by trying to manually push the record using the "Sync Person to SFDC " action, and got an error that I found out the record could not sync manually.  Then looking up the error code and testing a little more I was able to identify the issue.  Thank you to Oz who responded and led me down this path!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Pls remove the attachments and paste the images inline. Not all users can see attachments.

Nathan_Hutchiso
Level 1

Thanks for the suggestion.  Just updated!

Oz_Platero
Level 6

Hello Nathan Hutchison‌,

But when I update the record again after the sync cycle, the record does not push.  Is there a limit to the frequency records can sync between Marketo and Salesforce? 

• Lets assume you only have this person in both systems.  Then the fastest frequency data will push is every 5 minutes through the bi-directional sync.
  • Understanding the Salesforce Sync - Marketo Docs - Product Documentation 
  • Go here and check if you have a backlog; replace YYY with your POD Marketo info. Could be SJH, SJ10, ABD, etc.
  • Select some objects (lead, contact, account, any other objects that might have some data synching).
  • https://app-yyy.marketo.com/supportTools/sfdcSyncStats 
  • You could just be updating the person while its on a break (good timing). Then the subsequent update has to wait for the current cycle to complete + the 5 minute wait.

Not sure the exact time frame when it works again, but I know that if I update the record the next day it works. I also tried changing another value visible to the Sync User and it still did not push.

I noticed the same happens when I change a record in Marketo.  If I update a field, it will push to Salesforce the next sync period.  But when I try to update the record again a little while later, it does not even try to update to Salesforce.

• The data never syncs? As is not even a long delay? 
  • Check if you have a backlog.
  • If the first update makes it and the subsequent fails period, and you have no backlog open a Marketo support ticket.
Nathan_Hutchiso
Level 1

Hi Oz,

Thank you for the helpful information! I have not seen that SFDCSyncStats page before which seems like a pretty great tool that I will have to check out anytime I have any issue.

I was able to test more today.  The same issue happens when updating from the Salesforce side of things even with waiting a little longer on the timing.  The record never tries to push, even after the next few cycles.

I have updated things from the Marketo side and it looks like the data never syncs when updating the record right after a cycle ends, even after a few more cycles pass.  In the example below, the user was updated at 4:25PM, with a few flow updates then occurring.  It syncs during the next cycle at 4:31PM.  When I update again at 4:33PM, the record does not sync.  It does not sync during the next few cycles and appears to never get added to the backlog

Person Update:

personupdate.png

Salesforce Sync

globalsync.png

Sync Tool Backlog:

nopush.png

Thank you for the help, lets hope support can help resolve the issue.  Will definitely need to make sure that both systems stay in sync all the time. We do not want to overwrite any unsubscribe data!

Nathan_Hutchiso
Level 1

As it turns out there is no limit to the frequency records can sync between systems. The issue I was facing was due to a sync filter that was preventing the records from syncing.  The record was able to update between the systems fine when the sync filter flag let it, and stopped syncing either direction when this changed.  I forgot that the sync filter continuously impacts the system, it does not just work during the initial sync.

I found this out by trying to manually push the record using the "Sync Person to SFDC " action, and got an error that I found out the record could not sync manually.  Then looking up the error code and testing a little more I was able to identify the issue.  Thank you to Oz who responded and led me down this path!