Is it possible to hide folders and programs from certain users?

George_Hoffman
Level 3

Is it possible to hide folders and programs from certain users?

We are hiring a Marketo user and will be giving 3 candidates a test. We do not want them to see each others work. Is it possible to create a folder for each candidate in marketing activities that only they can view and edit?

8 REPLIES 8
Rachel_Noble
Level 9 - Champion Alumni

Re: Is it possible to hide folders and programs from certain users?

First - be super careful that they know it's a live instance so they don't turn anything on/off, edit existing campaigns/programs, etc. I'm sure you've thought of that but it would make me nervous to have a candidate playing around in my instance.

Anyway, if they're testing at the same time, as long as they don't refresh the page they won't be able to see each others' work. If they aren't taking it at the same time, I'd just either delete the previous candidates' tests or rename and archive them somewhere that they won't be able to find. They shouldn't really be poking around in there anyway.

Darrell_Alfons2
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Yup good points by Rachel.

I don't think you can hide the the folders from each candidate. Would be great if the whole test took place in a sandbox.

Anyway, I'm so curious George, since we might do the same, what are the parameters of the test? And will be scoring them based on how efficiently they build something, or what do you have planned.

Gerard_Donnell4
Level 10

What we have done in the past is give people an event program to build. An event program lets you see how they create emails, landing pages and also how they set up smart campaigns.  I think it is a good indicator to how good someone knows their way around the system and how comfortable they are using Marketo. Obviously this test wouldn't be for a full blown system admin but more of a power user who is carrying out daily builds and schedules.

We would give them a document that would ask them to build an event program with the following type of criteria:

Create 3 emails : Invite, reminder, registered auto response. (template names provided for them to look up and use)

Create a landing page and thank you page. (template names provided for them to look up and use)

Set up the program to send the initial email tomorrow at 10am, then 2 weeks later send the reminder if they haven't registered. 

If anyone does register they would receive the thank you email.

Use the event channel for your program.

The banners and text for all the emails are provided in a dropbox account or folder on the computer.

When you review the set ups you can see major differences in how people think.

Some people create one smart campaign that sends the invite and then has a wait step of 14 days for the reminder. 

Others create two smart campaigns, one for the invite and then a second for 2 weeks later to send the reminder.

We purposely don't mention about updating the status' as sometimes people miss this.

Some people create program tokens for the date and address (info that could change and would need updating) whereas others add them manually to the three emails and landing pages etc.

People also don't forward people to the thank you page after they fill in the form.

We check if they added pre headers or made the registered auto response operational.

Overall I think an event program covers a lot and can give you a really good indication as to someones ability for daily Marketo work. You can also make it as hard or easy as you like, add in Saleforce sync, reminder 1 week out from the event to registered people and a different reminder to unregistered people. Pretend the event is over and ask them to upload an excel list of the people who attended.  The list can have mistakes to see if they spot them or do any data clean up. 

The list is endless.

Darrell_Alfons2

Thanks Gerard, good idea having it be an event program as those are typically complex.

ChristinaZuniga

I love this idea! I do things like this during training and right now I have an intern I'm turning into an Admin. For him I typically set up programs and then give him the overall ask (example from today: Stephanie wants to send an email to people who have registered (been accepted) into the Annual User Event, but she wants to exclude speakers. This is for the Event Update email).

Then either I have him set up the smart campaign or I set it up and he drafts out how he would set it up and compares to mine. I hadn't thought to do this when hiring future admins, I generally ask questions to get nuance. Great idea!

Devraj_Grewal

George,

You cannot define user permissions by folder as this is too granular, but you can vote for the idea here:

Dan_Stevens_

This should be available later this year: When are folder/asset permissions going to be available?

Darrell_Alfons2

ah, good to know!