SOLVED

Is expressed consent (opt in checkbox) a GDPR requirement for B2B Marketing?

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is expressed consent (opt in checkbox) a GDPR requirement for B2B Marketing?

Hello,

My team and I are currently working on making sure our marketing systems and lead capture workflows are GDPR compliant. Everything makes sense except that I keep seeing contradicting information on whether an opt-in checkbox to ask for expressed consent on a webform is really a GDPR requirement for B2B marketing. From what I can tell, it's a requirement for B2C, but its not clear if its required for B2B.

Does anyone know the definitive answer here?

Thank you!

Shirleen

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Re: Is expressed consent (opt in checkbox) a GDPR requirement for B2B Marketing?

The actual opt-in checkbox isn't a requirement under GDPR.  But if you want to continue to market to people that submit a form - or even process their data - you must include a way for the user to provide their explicit consent.  Meaning an opt-in checkbox.  And that checkbox must be deselected by default.  Also, making the user check the box can not be mandatory for them to proceed.  In other words, "consent must be “freely given, specific, informed and unambiguous."

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Re: Is expressed consent (opt in checkbox) a GDPR requirement for B2B Marketing?

Hi Shirleen,

Globally, except for exceptions (such as contractual relationship with your customers or sending operational emails) an explicit and well informed consent (a.k.a opt-in) is required for B2B as well as B2C.

-Greg

Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

The actual opt-in checkbox isn't a requirement under GDPR.  But if you want to continue to market to people that submit a form - or even process their data - you must include a way for the user to provide their explicit consent.  Meaning an opt-in checkbox.  And that checkbox must be deselected by default.  Also, making the user check the box can not be mandatory for them to proceed.  In other words, "consent must be “freely given, specific, informed and unambiguous."

Michelle_Miles3
Level 9 - Champion Alumni

Agree with Dan and Greg. Shirleen Solares​ If you'd like additional consent details and an example of a proper form setup, you can find them here: http://learn.perkuto.com/gdpr/marketing-strategies-to-thrive-in-a-gdpr-world

Michelle Miles