Re: Is anybody using a versioning tool for the code updates on templates and forms?

Cecile_Maindron
Level 10

Is anybody using a versioning tool for the code updates on templates and forms?

Hello,

I'm wondering if anybody is using a versioning tool to track the code changes on Marketo templates, forms, and embedded scripts?

If yes, which tool are you using and was the implementation with Marketo easy?

If no, how are you tracking changes and trouble-shooting?

Thanks

Cécile

5 REPLIES 5
Casey_Grimes
Level 10

Re: Is anybody using a versioning tool for the code updates on templates and forms?

Definitely interested in what other people have to say here.

The UI-based nature of changes makes traditional version control difficult, but I do like to use Git where possible to track major revisions of code (whether that's for templates or embedded scripts.) However, that's not ideal--it's really more a collection of snapshots than necessarily versioning as it's usually understood. It's an interesting question, because the audit trail does at least seem to do differentials, and having some way to hook into that would be ideal (so you're not just tracking your own personal revisions but everything that would be potentially happening.) Probably a pipe dream in terms of Marketo feature enhancement, though.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

I largely do the same thing as Courtney, checking into Git from local copies (part of the time, at least).

Also

• try to be painstaking in keeping dev/qa/prod copies of assets in Marketo, cloning to new versions rather than updating, and stamping version metadata within assets themselves (all my templates have data-name and data-version attributes on the <html> element)
  • use external hosting for JS and CSS files, since then you can actually push directly from your VC client
  • you could in theory use the Assets API to pull data out periodically, then commit to your repository -- won't even pretend I actually do this, though!

Llike Courtney says, the environment is far from conducive to actual version control and I doubt any integration is forthcoming. You just have to fire up Git/Hg/Svn/whatever system you know already and try to do your best.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Sanford,

use external hosting for JS and CSS files, since then you can actually push directly from your VC client

You mean the customer web site of a CDN here, I suppose ?

The website is not always a possibility unfrtunately, so that leaves the CDN

-Greg

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

The website is not always a possibility unfrtunately, so that leaves the CDN

Whatever can either do a git fetch, accept a direct git push, or accept SFTP/FTP/WebDAV push, yes...

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Vote here: