SOLVED

Re: Is Upgrading Marketo Lead Management from AppExchange non-destructive?

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is Upgrading Marketo Lead Management from AppExchange non-destructive?

I have discovered that the version of Marketo Lead Management in place in our SFDC org is from September 2012 and does not contain all of the fields that should be synced from Marketo, such as Acquisition Program Name.  This shows as being mapped to mkto2__Acquisition_Program__c (SFDC Lead) and mkto2__Acquisition_Program__c (SFDC Contact); however, neither of these fields exist in the SFDC org.  I am guessing that this is because the Marketo Lead Management was installed before these fields existed.

So, my question is, can we safely upgrade our Marketo Lead Management app without deleting any existing field data? I would hope so, but as I have to hand this to the IS team in the company to do (I'm not allowed to touch SFDC), I want to be sure before I request this.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Erica,

The mapping should not be an issue in fact:

• Either the fields are part of the packages, and the mapping will be completely managed by Marketo. AFAIK, and AFAIT (T stands for tested) the mapping will be untouched by the upgrade, as there is no change on these fields (may be a couple of additions)
  • Or the fields are custom or standard fields, in which case they will be totally ignored by the upgrade; so any mapping you have done so far will remain.

-Greg

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Erica,

We have done this upgrade quite a few times without any problem. The key point: DO NOT UNINSTALL previous versions before upgrading, just go to the appexchange and click the get it now link, then proceed.

-Greg

Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

I would ask Support to be certain. I am fairly certain that there is no destruction involved in upgrading as this would be a normal process and automatic in most cases.

As for the fields you want to map, you can do this by creating the corresponding fields in SFDC and asking Support to map them properly, as long as they are not used in Marketo assets. You may lose data though.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, Greg.  I would not uninstall as that would remove previous fields.

Josh, yes, I have a current open support case on this but have just been referred to standard docs which don't reference the upgrade use case. Thanks for the helpful suggestion regarding the mappings. I don't want to create the fields "manually" as they should be part of the managed package in SFDC, so would rather do this by installing the latest version.  I guess that as long as I use the same API names Marketo would sync to them... it is just weird, I've never seen a mapping showing in Field management where the "mapped" fields don't actually exist in SFDC.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Erica,

The mapping should not be an issue in fact:

• Either the fields are part of the packages, and the mapping will be completely managed by Marketo. AFAIK, and AFAIT (T stands for tested) the mapping will be untouched by the upgrade, as there is no change on these fields (may be a couple of additions)
  • Or the fields are custom or standard fields, in which case they will be totally ignored by the upgrade; so any mapping you have done so far will remain.

-Greg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Greg,

The fields are Marketo fields, not custom fields. I've seen them in previous client Marketo orgs. It just puzzles me that Marketo shows them being mapped to SFDC fields that don't exist, as per the original post here.  In my previous experience, fields with a prefix of mkto2__ come from the Marketo managed package Marketo Lead Management.  Hence the query.

So, here is the scenario that worries me.  We go ahead and install the latest Marketo Lead Management app into SFDC from the AppExchange, which puts the Acquisition Program Name fields into SFDC on Contact and Lead.  Will it then map these fields to the (already existing and populated) Marketo standard field Acquisition Program Name?  I'd hope so, but support has not given me a definitive answer yet.

-Erica

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Erica,

It should do, but the only way to know is probably to test it on a Sandbox. I would just backup the entire Marketo lead database prior to upgrading the packages, so that, in case there is a problem, you can still reimport the data in the fields.

-Greg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Support have come back to me and told me that it should be fine. I will leave it for next week! As far as backing up the whole database, I assume you mean export "All Leads", all columns?

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Erica,

Yes, this is what I meant

-Greg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All

I see this in App Exchange. I this the latest version of Marketo Lead management? :

PACKAGE DETAILS:
  • Name: Marketo Lead Management
  • Version: LM I18n / 1.17.0
  • Type:Managed Package

Can someone send me URL to upgrade my Version of Marketo Lead management ?