Re: Is Marketo's shared IP pool always this bad?

Nik_Friedman_Te
Level 2

Is Marketo's shared IP pool always this bad?

I recently moved from Pardot to Marketo and I'm seeing extremely poor deliverability on known-good lists containing subscribers with recent activity. Doing a blacklist check on the sending IP, I'm seeing it on some lower-priority blacklists, which is never a good thing. Further testing is seeing similar problems on other IPs in the pool. Apparently I'm unable to move to a more premium IP pool until I've been a subscriber for a longer time, but I'm afraid that in the interim my list will be burnt by spam complaints and bogus filter-generated hard bounces.

Am I running into particular Marketo "bad weather" for the shared pool, or is it always this bad?

Is there an option to move to a different shared pool or is it all aggregated?

5 REPLIES 5
Chris_Wilcox
Level 9

You could always pay for a dedicated IP!

Amit_Jain
Level 8 - Community Advisor

Did you consider IP warmup before you start sending the email with Open throttle? What I observed is that if you start sending emails to your same audience from a different IP suddenly, the spam filters find that suspicious and block the email and even worse, blacklist the IP. So if you did not happen to warmup IP earlier, you still might have a chance. Just try sending the emails to your best subscribers and ask your brand advocates to whitelist Marketo Email server IP on their email server. Once you start getting some hits on Open and clicks, then slightly broad the audience and see who it perform.

Nik_Friedman_Te
Level 2

Given our volume, in the past we've benefitted from reputable shared pools. As for warming up, these results are during our very gradual warmup process - hence our only sending to a small handful of known-good recipients so we were guaranteed to avoid any lurking honeypots. 

I expect a small hit from switching MTAs and IPs, but going from our typical delivery rates of 99%+ to 91% is way too high. And hitting mail-tester.com repeatedly is showing that our IPs are consistently members of blacklists.

Are other people (on the shared pool) seeing the same results, or is this just a particularly bad couple of weeks?

Steve_Kane
Level 1

We have been experiencing this as well even after the warmup period. Too many clients in the shared IP pool are getting flagged which hurts everyone.  We cannot whitelist the IP pool because it lets through too much junk email (which we experienced) but we also cannot go to a dedicated IP because we don't hit the 100,000 email sends/month base level.
Very frustrating.

AJ_Valles2
Level 1

I just joined Marketo on Monday and seeing a huge dip! being sold on email deliverability and best practices, yet with ActiveCampaign I was getting better results at a fraction of the price