Is Delivered Email Trigger

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is Delivered Email Trigger

Hi There -

Can anyone tell me if the "Email Is Delivered" trigger actually gets triggered upon email delivery? Or, despite the trigger name, is it triggered when the email is sent?

Thank you!

Denise

10 REPLIES 10
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Is Delivered Email Trigger

As far as I'm aware, the name is appropriate. Are you seeing something else?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Sandy - I'm planning in advance. I'm using an Email Send Program and setting up the Program Status Campaigns. If I were using a Smart Campaign to send the email I would change the Program Status to Sent as the second flow step - but with the pesky Email Send Program you have to use a separate campaign to do so and there is no "Was Sent Email" trigger. I don't like the idea of using "Was Delivered" to change the Program Status to Sent. And I wanted to avoid using a batch campaign - because I'm also creating a template to make this as easy as possible for my client.

Denise

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

The problem isn't that Email is Delivered is inaccurate or fired at the wrong time, it's just counting something else. It's a perfect equivalent of Email is Sent if the message gets delivered promptly. If it bounces, you won't know unless you also trigger on Bounces and Bounces Soft (and those won't come in immediately).

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, agreed. I just wanted a triggered Email Was Sent. I suspect it doesn't exist because before the Email Send Program came into being an we only used Smart Campaigns to send emails, we all just changed program status to Sent in the same SC that sent the email. Thank you for letting me know the Trigger for Delivered works as it's name implies.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Denise,

With email programs, the emails are sent in bulk in a quite short period of time on program execution. The way we implement the member management or any other info need for this is a batch smart campaign that with an "email was sent" filter that does what is needed (such as changing the program member status) and we instruct the users run this SC when they come back and check their email stats.

-Greg

Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Denise - It should also be noted that "Email is Delivered" is not the same thing as "email was received in the recipient's inbox".  It simply states that the receiving mail server accepted the email.  What happens to it after that is unknown (sent to user's inbox, sent to quarantine, sent to junk/spam, etc.).  You probably already knew that - just providing more clarification for others that may read this thread.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dan - I did know this - but probably lots of others don't. Thank you for adding that information to the thread!

Julz_James
Level 10

Hi Denise,

I usually use 'Email is Delivered' as the trigger for the 'Sent' Progression status in Email Programs as its very close.  I actually prefer using Delivered vs. Sent because it will give me a better picture of the funnel from Members > Delivered > Opened > Clicked etc.

Don't know if that helps with setting up your program for your client?

Thanks

Juli

Dina_Otero
Level 2

Hi Denise,

This trigger is based on when the email is delivered. However, many firewalls don't deliver emails immediately. If you're creating a flow step or changing a program status based on the delivery trigger, I suggest adding a wait time first. I usually wait 30 minutes to ensure everything is delivered before moving forward next steps.