Re: Introducing New Emails to Subscribers

Rachel_Egan
Level 7

Introducing New Emails to Subscribers

I'm looking for some advice on best practices for email subscriptions. The short of it is: we have a team that wants to start sending a new newsletter. What is the best way to introduce the newsletter to our subscription base without crossing any boundaries when it comes to email laws?

We use a subscription management center (I know, I've heard the arguments for NOT having one, but our reality is that we have one and it's not going anywhere any time soon) and we have some other newsletters that cater to similar audiences. I was thinking that we could send an introductory message with the first email and tell people to update their preferences in the subscription management center if they want to continue receiving the email.

I'm definitely open to other solutions, though. Let me know what you all are doing!

3 REPLIES 3
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Could be a problem if your opt-in verbiage specifically claimed You will not receive any emails other than those listed here.  But if you took care to include possible changes (When we add new digital channels in the future, you may receive an introductory message) then you're likely OK. If you didn't do either one, only your legal team can tell you for sure whether your original opt-in form covers this scenario.

I predict that if you feature the fact that this is a new subscription front-and-center, and very prominently point them to how to stop emails (while keeping your marketing happyface on) it's not a real danger zone.

Rachel_Egan
Level 7

Thanks Sanford! This is along the lines of what I was thinking. I appreciate the insight.

Anonymous
Not applicable

You could also include something about the launch of your new newsletter to your current newsletters to enable your customers to be able to opt into receiving this newsletter by update their preferences without sending an additional email.