Introducing Agical.io, the smarter ICS file generator

Samantha_Cossum
Level 3

Re: Introducing Agical.io, the smarter ICS file generator

Hey Sanford,

I have a couple of questions that I couldn't fine addressed anywhere but if it is sorry for re-asking!

1. I'm having issues using the recur with Outlook. It works fine when I open the file into my iCal but when I open into Outlook it says all meetings occur in the past.

http://ics.agical.io/?subject=Submit+Your+Stats&organizer=Results+Creator+Bootcamp&reminder=0&locati...

Screen Shot 2019-04-25 at 12.35.57 PM.png

2. Is there a way to set an end date for a recurring calendar? I tried setting the dtend but, at least in iCal, it just keeps going. The desire would be for the event to recur on the 1st every month and the final one to be on 02/01/2020. Here's what I tried:

http://ics.agical.io/?subject=Submit+Your+Stats&organizer=Results+Creator+Bootcamp&reminder=0&locati...

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Let's start with the first one.

The string "&replace00" looks pretty weird there. Are you sure you don't have a typo in the actual link sent to people (the sample URL you posted to the Nation is fine, but are you using {{lead.token}} or {{my.token}} in the email?). I'll do some more checking in Outlook if you tell me the exact version.

Samantha_Cossum
Level 3

No tokens just the straight link we are testing to use.

We're using outlook 2019 365 for Macs. Thanks for looking into this I really appreciate the help!

Jyotsna_Gupta1
Level 1

Hi Sanford,

I am also creating a recurring calendar invite and have specified the dtend parameter but when i am importing it in Outlook 2016 it just keeps going. Were you able to find the cause?

My ical url - http://ics.agical.io/?subject=Crash%20Course&organizer=Company&reminder=15&location=ON24&recur=weekl...

I know it is too long description but we require it like that. One more issue i am facing is when the cal is downloaded from Landing page new line character "\n" works but for emails it is not working so for emails i am using <br />(URL ecoding - %3Cbr%20%2F%3E). Could you please confirm if this is the right way?

Thanks,

Jyotsna

SanfordWhiteman

You're embedding an unencoded URL in a URL, so you need to use the alternate query delimiter syntax (this isn't something specific to Agical, it's always the case).

Did you read the articles at https://blog.teknkl.com/tag/agical ?

Jyotsna_Gupta1
Level 1

Thanks for your quick reply.

In my case i am using 3 different URLs of ON24 in a description so {{member.webinar URL}} will not help. It is like a master calendar invite for the whole series (ON24 events are linked to subsequent programs). I am going to try this by encoding url as per your suggestion.

Could you please let me know the cause of endless occurrences of the event?

Thanks,

Jyotsna

SanfordWhiteman

I'm not really talking about {{member.webinar URL}}. I'm talking about the general need to encode URLs-in-URLs, regardless of where they lead to.

I see spaces in your URLs, which indicates they haven't been run through an encoding step.

Could you please let me know the cause of endless occurrences of the event?

Fix the rest of the encoding up, then post a final rendered URL (with the tokens replaced by live data) as well as the template with the tokens shown.

Jyotsna_Gupta1
Level 1

SanfordWhiteman

Well, you have it set to recur weekly, forever. So that's why it does that. You have to include "recuruntil" and a timestamp if you want it to stop.

But that's not the only problem... you have one event set to last an entire 2 weeks. I assume you actually mean 3 individual days. You need to set the "dtstart" and "dtend" accordingly for the first day, then let the weekly recurrence schedule the next 2.

Jyotsna_Gupta1
Level 1

This is awesome. Able to set the recurrence correctly now. Thank you!

One more ask - can we rename the ics file?