SOLVED

Inserting campaign bulk data into marketo.

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Inserting campaign bulk data into marketo.

I want to insert bulk campaigns and leads data into Marketo. And Is there a relation between campaign and lead in Marketo?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Re: Inserting campaign bulk data into marketo.

No, not really.

In Marketo: Programs serve several functions

• collect related assets and flows together
  • tag Leads as Members and if they Respond or act in certain ways you want them to (Statuses)
  • Attribute Opps back to Channels and Offers
  • A Program can be synced directly to ONE SFDC Campaign. But it can be any SFDC Campaign and has nothing to do with the SFDC Campaign Hierarchy.

Some people sync the Program to the SFDC Campaign so they are linked, but they aren't necessarily the same at all.

Marketo Smart Campaigns can be inside, or outside, a Program. They are just rules for acting on Leads. They should not be equated to SFDC campaigns.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi June,

What are you calling bulk campaign data ?

While you can easily import lead data, It's impossible to import information such as "opened email" or "filled out form" in Marketo.

-Greg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you @Grégoire for your answer.

We want to insert campaigns data from csv file into Marketo like we can do to import a lead data from CSV into Marketo. I want to know how do we associate a campaign with a lead in Marketo. A little detailed explanation would be greatly appreciated. I am little new to Marketo Platform.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi June,

You can import leads :

• In a program (and setting the member status on import), as Dan suggested
  • In a static list

But not in a smart campaign.

The Marketo equivalent to a Marketing campaign is a Program. A (Slmart) Campaign is a workflow.

Now you can use the import to list feature then select all the imported leads and add them to a smart campaign.

These are a little cmplex when you have never been shown, and appear very simple afterwards. I recommend that you take some online (http://learnadmin.marketo.com/LearnerPage.aspx  ) or on premise training. It's really worth it in term of reducing the learning curve and avoid many (potentially damageable to you database) errors.

-Greg

Dan_Stevens_

We do this all the time for things like event attendees (or any marketing activity that isn't originally captured in Marketo).  As long as you have the proper program statuses in place, these imported leads can become members of a program at whichever program status you select upon initial upload.  And then once they're members of a program, you can manually progress their status there as well. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you Dan Stevens​ for your answer. Is there a relation between program and campaign. If I have to put campaigns, programs and leads in hierarchy, Campaigns -> Programs -> Leads  (Campaigns will have programs and leads are assigned to programs). I am trying to get lead information from Marketo via REST API, I couldn't find any campaign related information in lead response. I am wondering if there is a relation between the campaign and lead.

Josh_Hill13

Do you mean SFDC Campaigns?

This isn't really the way the system works.

Programs = SFDC Campaigns, but Programs in Marketo have several attributes and behaviors that are not equivalent.

Lead can be Members of a Program and Members of an SFDC Campaign. As Dan and Greg suggest, once imported, you can run a Flow Action or Smart Campaign to use Change Program Status and/or Add to SFDC Campaign to associate the Lead to the right place.

There are some complex ways to do this "more automatically" by using a trigger to listen for an update to Last Campaign Response field, but I think that's risky and takes thes same amount of time.

Programs do not have to be auto synced to SFDC Campaigns, nor do they have to have their leads associated to SFDC Campaigns.

Smart Campaign Membership is NOT the same and is just related to whether or not the lead qualified and processed in that SC.

So be very, very careful with terms here.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you Josh Hill​ for you detailed reply. One quick clarification, if I compare with SFDC, Program in Marketo is a Parent Campaign and Campaign in Marketo is a Sub-Campaign in SFDC?

2016-02-12 11_08_10-Getting Started » Marketo Developers.png

I am referring to this link in Programs & Campaigns Section - http://developers.marketo.com/documentation/getting-started/

Josh_Hill13

No, not really.

In Marketo: Programs serve several functions

• collect related assets and flows together
  • tag Leads as Members and if they Respond or act in certain ways you want them to (Statuses)
  • Attribute Opps back to Channels and Offers
  • A Program can be synced directly to ONE SFDC Campaign. But it can be any SFDC Campaign and has nothing to do with the SFDC Campaign Hierarchy.

Some people sync the Program to the SFDC Campaign so they are linked, but they aren't necessarily the same at all.

Marketo Smart Campaigns can be inside, or outside, a Program. They are just rules for acting on Leads. They should not be equated to SFDC campaigns.