SOLVED

Re: Inferred company only showing ISPs

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Inferred company only showing ISPs

Hello!

Our company is based in Germany and the "Inferred Company" from the Leads data doesn´t work apparently. We only see the ISPs in there, which is a big bummer as we expected to also get this data from Marketo. The same for the Inferred City since it also takes the info from where the ISP is located.

I know there are other service providers who offer this in Germany and looks like it works correctly for them. I don´t know specifically how it works or where the limitations are for Marketo to also get this information. Does anyone know about that?

I read from others here that it seems to work well for them, i wonder if that is also the case for others in Germany or Europe.

We don´t use RTP currently, but want to sign up for this in the future - i guess the situation would be the same and that we wouldn´t get as much lead data as we imagine, in order to use RTP successfully (i mean for instance having personalized content for anonymous leads). Am i right in this assumption?

Thanks for any input!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

HI Michael,

Marketo "inferred company" field is extracted from public WhoIs databases, that provide the actual company names only for very large ones. This is not Marketo's fault, this is what the public database offer.

Now, there are indeed some vendors who maintains a more comprehensive database of IP-company data that will be much more valuable and actionnable than the public ones. Marketo RTP is one of these vendors, (RTP is NOT using the WhoIs database but really has it's own DB). There are many other vendors out there on this niche and I encourage you to look into local vendors if you are looking for something specific to Germany.

So, no, your assumptions that RTP database is the same as the DB used for inferred company field is not correct

And you can also vote here:

-Greg

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

HI Michael,

Marketo "inferred company" field is extracted from public WhoIs databases, that provide the actual company names only for very large ones. This is not Marketo's fault, this is what the public database offer.

Now, there are indeed some vendors who maintains a more comprehensive database of IP-company data that will be much more valuable and actionnable than the public ones. Marketo RTP is one of these vendors, (RTP is NOT using the WhoIs database but really has it's own DB). There are many other vendors out there on this niche and I encourage you to look into local vendors if you are looking for something specific to Germany.

So, no, your assumptions that RTP database is the same as the DB used for inferred company field is not correct

And you can also vote here:

-Greg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you very much for the information! We are now checking out different local vendors and will probably also use RTP soon.

Natascia_Almeid
Level 3

Hi Grégoire Michel,

To understand a bit better:

- Information for "very large" companies is available from whois databases. ("very large" = global corporations?)

Using the web-personalization (RTP) module combined with ABM though I can:

- Reach anonymous visitors from large and medium-sized companies via Web_Personalisation. (Which company size dimension would this be?)

- And I can only reach with a personalized webpage "very small" companies if the visitors are known and are already stored in CRM (as probably their IP Address won´t be in Marketo DB)?

Thanks a lot!

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

As I mentioned on your other thread, it's not actually about company size. SMBs (< 250 people) can have Autonomous System entries. It's about the thoroughness/security concerns of their IT staff.

Natascia_Almeid
Level 3

Thanks Sanford! But for the web personalization module the IP addresses database from Marketo should be more extensive than the public whois database, correct?

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

In theory, yes... but haven't seen reproducible proof of the WP db being more effective for initial firm identification.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

On Top of Sanford's answer, for known people, it's not the data that is stored in your CRM that matters, but the data that is in your Marketo Lead Management database and the presence on the visitor's browser of Marketo Web Personalization cookie to link the visitor to the database entry.

Also remember that Web Personalization and MLM database are separated and you need to sync the field you want from MLM to WP to use that information to create WP segments.

-Greg