Re: Incomplete required fields

Anonymous
Not applicable

Incomplete required fields

Hi there,

We’ve noticed multiple leads for several of our forms have been bypassing required fields, leaving them blank. I assumed that making the field “required” would automatically prompt the user that they are unable to submit without filling out the field – or at least block them from submitting. But it appears they’ve been able to leave fields blank and submit regardless of making them required, which isn’t helpful since so many leads are coming back with empty information we needed.

I found this old discussion article which appears to be pointing out the same issue, but it doesn’t look like it was ever resolved: https://community.marketo.com/MarketoDiscussionDetail?id=90650000000PXX7AAO
Tags (1)
6 REPLIES 6
Dory_Viscoglio
Level 10

Hi Mariah, short of something else being incorrect with your form, if someone doesn't have Java enabled on their browser, they can submit without filling out all required fields. You can introduce code to alert them to the "need" for Javascript to be enabled, but it isn't always the best user experience. 
Anonymous
Not applicable

That much I gathered from the previous community/discussion article, but I doubt that many people wouldn't have Java enabled.

In fact, I just tested a form with these required fields and left a few blank and it let me submit. I don't know what could be incorrect with the form -- shouldn't it be as simple as selecting the "make this field required" box when setting up the form?
Anonymous
Not applicable

In general, this should be pretty rare. Doing anything beyond what our forms do out of the box creates a really weird experience (as Dory mentioned).

As a percentage, is this happening a lot? Maybe they aren't actually set up right?
Anonymous
Not applicable

I can't really give a percentage, but I can say it's happening pretty often. And I don't think I'm the only one having this issue (https://community.marketo.com/MarketoDiscussionDetail?id=90650000000PXX7AAO). We set up forms exactly the way it says here: https://community.marketo.com/MarketoArticle?id=kA050000000LH9qCAG

Nothing extravagant, so not sure what we could possibly be doing that's making the forms behave this way. Should I submit a ticket instead?
Kevin_Lustgarte
Level 3

I just put together a very basic form with 5 required fields. Sent the embed code to a vendor and they've added to a microsite they built. 27 people have filled out the form -- 27 new lead records created in Marketo -- ALL BLANK.

The vendor implemented the form as a pop up / lightbox. I didn't give them lightbox embed code though.

Why do you think the fields are blank? I filled out the form myself, as a a test, and it comes through blank. Never had this happen before, and this form is the same config as every other one we've implemented.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Please open another thread, and provide a link to the real URL so we can troubleshoot this. It's not feasible to troubleshoot what is surely a JavaScript error without seeing the code.