Re: Incomplete Required Fields

Anonymous
Not applicable

Incomplete Required Fields

Has anyone else noticed a influx of records entering their system through forms with required fields incomplete? We're having large discussions around people disabling their javascript to bypass the requirements.

We have already implemented a "no javascript" message to warn them they will lose the full functionality of the page but still allow capture of whatever information they may chose to populate. We are also investigating other possible  avenues of this data entering the system outside of javascript disablement. 

If anyone has suggestions on how to address this issue would love to hear from you.
Tags (1)
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

This can happen if the lead submits the first progressive profiling form and on a second submission of the form (which would have different questions displayed), they change the email address (i.e. different person using the same PC or same person with two email addresses).  Marketo will create a new lead record, but it will be missing the data that normally would have been captured in the first form.  Look at the Fills Out Form activity and see if there was data submitted from a later progressive profile form, if so, this is what caused it.  When this happens I create a smart list with an Anonymous IP filter and enter the anonymous IP address of the lead.  Frequently, it will find multiple records and I can merge or manually update them as appropriate.
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can require javascript to be enabled before allowing them to submit the form, but my Web team says this is not a best practice. So yes, I also see incomplete records come through.
Anonymous
Not applicable

We have enabled a message on our page notifiying them that it is disabled in hopes they will enable but recognize that is no guarantee. Is the number of incomplete records in your instance  prevelent enough to believe it may be related to another "issue"? Our investigation behind users with disabled javascript does not fit the pattern we are seeing in our system.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Maybe you are seeing Web bots complete the form? We don't get a lot of incomplete records, but we do get a lot of completely blank records. Do you have a search bar on your Website? At one point we discovered that people using the search bar were also submitting blank Marketo forms if they were on the same page.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've been getting a ton of these.  More missing required fields than including them.  I am not using progressive profiling, but just a basic form for demo or sales contact request.  Aside from requiring Java, I cannot find a workaround.  This is creating quite a lot of manual reconciliation work and a greater burden on LQS.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Seeing if anyone got any traction on this. I really don't think that this many people have disabled JS on their browsers to be able to get past the Required Fields. 

More so, I had someone test a page of mine the other day. They had never went to the site previously and when they went to my landing page, they were given the 3rd page of my progressive profiling form (basically requiring no fields, just one checkbox asking if they want a sales call) thus creating a new lead with all UNKNOWN values. 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ian - did they use a computer that had been used by someone else to visit your website / landing pages and change the email address (if displayed) before submitting the form?  This is really the only time we get new leads created without required fields.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Elliot,

No they hadn't. Today was a good example of what's happening which I don't quite understand. There were 20 new leads to a program I have, and about 4 of them came back with the Last Name field blank (which then populated to UNKNOWN) and the company name as UNKNOWN as well. 

All the other information we asked for did get answered, btu those two fields on all 4 leads were UNKNOWN leading me to think that they were either missing or something else. 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just want to confirm that you placed your Marketo form on a Marketo landing page using the Landing Page designer and the form's HTML is not embedded on a non-Marketo page and you are not displaying it in an iframe on a non-Marketo page?  Are you observing this behavior with a specific browser or does it occur in multiple browsers?