SOLVED

Re: In Future Filter Not Working Against Custom Object Date Field

Go to solution
Sean_Hardaker
Level 3

In Future Filter Not Working Against Custom Object Date Field

Happy thanksgiving!

I’m having a serious problem getting a filter to work properly against a date in a custom object.  I want to filter leads with a record in a custom object with a date 3 days in the future (27th Nov). 

the filter "Has OBJECT NAME" -> "DATE" = "In future" 3 days

the filter "Has OBJECT NAME" -> "DATE" = "In future after" 2 days

(ref http://docs.marketo.com/display/public/DOCS/Smart+List+Filter+Operators+Glossary )

if I add the email filter to match just on my email address it works fine as I have 1 record in the custom object with the date 27th Nov.

If I remove the filter for my email address it returns 4 other leads as well that do not have a custom object record with the date 27th Nov

Any ideas what's going on?

thanks

Sean

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

HI Sean,

Although the filters apply to the same object, they do not retrieve the same custom object records.

Marketo example works on lead fields, not on custom objects fields, since, on lead fields, there is only one value to filter on, so both filters apply to the same value.

-Greg

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Sean,

Can you please provide a screnshot of the filters?

the 4 other leads have to have some Custom objects with different dates. What are these dates?

I suspect that your 4 leads have more than one custom object attached and that for instance, they may have 1 record on the 26th and another one on the 28th.

The 2 filters together do not filter on the same custom object record...

-Greg

Sean_Hardaker
Level 3

filter.png

schedule.pnglead breakdown.png

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Yes, this is exactly what I suspected. As expected, the 2 filters do not apply to the same custom object, so if a lead has 2 records, it migt be select even though there is no record in exactly 3 days.

I do not see a solution to your problem in the absence of "Not in future" and "Not in future after" operators that would enable to select all leads without a custom object on the 27th and then use any leads not fitting this.

-Greg

Sean_Hardaker
Level 3

Hi Greg

I'm confused. The two filters refer to the same custom object "Platform Accounts".  Do you mean that the two filters are doing two separate filters and combining the results?

What about this example from the Makreto docs?

Say you want to see customers who are up for renewal in 90 days. You would use two separate filters. First use "In Future After 90 days," and second, "In Future 91 Days." That would capture whomever has a date 90 days from now.

Smart List Filter Operators Glossary - Marketo Docs - Product Docs

thanks

Sean

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

HI Sean,

Although the filters apply to the same object, they do not retrieve the same custom object records.

Marketo example works on lead fields, not on custom objects fields, since, on lead fields, there is only one value to filter on, so both filters apply to the same value.

-Greg

Sean_Hardaker
Level 3

Hi Greg

Ahhhhhhh, they are doing their filters independently from one another not as a combined query.

No trouble, I've just created a secondary date field that will contain the same value so both "in future" and "in future after" can be done in one filter step.

thanks!

Sean

Jared_Kimball2
Level 3

Hi Sean,

I know this is 2 years later...

I'm trying to solve a similar problem with custom objects.

What exactly do you mean by, "I've just created a secondary date field that will contain the same value so both 'in future' and 'in future after' can be done in one filter step?"

How did you do that?

Thanks for your help.

Jared

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

... meaning there are 2 fields that always hold the same value, so you can simulate applying 2 constraints to the same field on the same record (which would otherwise be impossible).

Sean_Hardaker
Level 3

Hi Greg

Thanks for taking a look. In response to your other points:

the 4 other leads have to have some Custom objects with different dates. What are these dates?

• Lead ID: 324 = Nov 26, 2016 and Dec 2, 2016
  • Lead ID: 2700 = Nov 27, 2016
  • Lead ID: 1019557 = Nov 26, 2016, Dec 2, 2016, Oct 26, 2016
  • Lead ID: 1091929 = Nov 26, 2016, Dec 2, 2016
  • Lead ID: 1119105 = Nov 26, 2016, Dec 2, 2016

I suspect that your 4 leads have more than one custom object attached and that for instance, they may have 1 record on the 26th and another one on the 28th.

There are some other test custom objects but none have the same field name or any values

The 2 filters together do not filter on the same custom object record...

Both filters are "Has Platform Accounts"