Importing a list to update database records

Ashley_Fawcett
Level 1

Importing a list to update database records

My company does customer surveys pretty frequently and we just switched over to Marketo so this is a bit new. We assign each of our customers their own unique survey link so we can get more information comparing their responses to their account. When I upload a list with their individual survey link it creates a new lead in the database. Is it possible to do a list upload to update the existing record? Or will the new record just have to be deleted once it is sent? 

7 REPLIES 7
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Importing a list to update database records

A list import via the Marketo UI can use the Email Address field as a lookup key. Do you have that as a column and have it mapped correctly? You should not be constantly creating new leads.

Ashley_Fawcett
Level 1

Yes, I map both email address and a user ID that should technically map it to the existing lead. It creates a new on every time and when I try to skip new people and updates it fails. 

SanfordWhiteman

Marketo Lead ID is irrelevant here (that isn't supported). Remove that column from the file and try again.

Ashley_Fawcett
Level 1

It isn't the lead id i'm using, its a unique id we assign to people in customers, but I've tried both ways and now have double the leads

SanfordWhiteman

Are you saying the update-only job fails? (As in throws an error.) Or simply doesn't import any rows?

Check that there aren't extra spaces or control characters in your file. You can attach a file here that shows the behavior (obvs. with just a few test rows).

Again you shouldn't expect any other field but Email Address to have any meaning, unless you have specifically requested a compound lookup key (not generally recommended).

Ashley_Fawcett
Level 1

Yes the job fails. I have opened a ticket as I think there are issues with our instance. Thanks for your help though!

Fabiannb
Level 2

Hi. Could you show me please what is this option to update? I just can select default (create a new lead) or Skip new people and updates (and just list the people)