Importing List Problem - Not all names importing in

Anonymous
Not applicable

Importing List Problem - Not all names importing in

I previously imported an excel list into Markeot that I pushed out an email blast to. However, as i look back at that imported list i realize it did not include everyone that was in the excel spreadsheet. Why were some leads not imported into the list?
Tags (1)
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Importing List Problem - Not all names importing in

Does this list include new leads? If so, be sure to check the options you select during your upload. For instance the list import mode "Normal" will include new leads, but "Skip New Leads.." will not upload any new names.

Double check your excel list as well to make sure all formatting is correct for list uploads.

Great support article to make sure all is well: https://community.marketo.com/MarketoArticle?id=kA050000000KzWVCA0

Anonymous
Not applicable

Tim,

I always import with 'Normal' mode and use the CSV format, so i feel like i am using the right options when importing
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you check your list for dupe email addys?  If there are any, subsequent leads w/same addys attached to them will overwrite the previous lead's info on that addy, and will leave you with a shorter list in the end.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for this tip. I had the same question. I had Excel check for duplicates and, Voila, the exact number that didn't import were duplicates. Thanks for your help.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sometimes, I've noticed that I too have missing information when I upload a CSV list from an Excel worksheet. I then realize that when I saved to CSV I need to choose CSV (Comma Delimited). In my Excel I have 3 CSV "save as" options:

CSV (Comma Delimited)
CSV (MS-DOS)
CSV (Macintosh)

I've noticed that if I don't save as Comma Delimited, that there are funky things that happen to the upload.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmm I tend to always use the CSV (Comma Delimited), but maybe I didn't this time?

I'll check on the dupe email address as well - that's a good idea

Thank you for the feedback everyone!
Anonymous
Not applicable

When it comes to importing a list for an email blast, should I always remove all leads that have NO email address? What do most people find makese sense?
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes.  No point in importing anything without an email addy, as that is the unique identifier in the lead database.