SOLVED

If i had 2 websites with 2 different domains, could I put the munchkin tracking code on both site for 1 instance of Marketo?

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

If i had 2 websites with 2 different domains, could I put the munchkin tracking code on both site for 1 instance of Marketo?

If i had 2 websites with 2 different domains, could I put the munchkin tracking code on both site for 1 instance of marketo? would this work?

Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: If i had 2 websites with 2 different domains, could I put the munchkin tracking code on both site for 1 instance of Marketo?

Hi Andrew,
I don't know if it is recommended but I did this when my company merged with another and it worked just fine.  For contact forms on each site I created different forms so I could easily tell what site the form submissions were coming from.

Thanks,

Kristen

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: If i had 2 websites with 2 different domains, could I put the munchkin tracking code on both site for 1 instance of Marketo?

Hi Andrew,
I don't know if it is recommended but I did this when my company merged with another and it worked just fine.  For contact forms on each site I created different forms so I could easily tell what site the form submissions were coming from.

Thanks,

Kristen

Jep_Castelein2
Level 10

Yes, that works. However, when someone is "tagged" for one domain, you cannot track that person's web visits on the other domain. You will have to also "tag" the lead for the other domain, then you can track on both domains. "Tagging" happens with filling out a form or clicking a link in a Marketo email (the link has to point to the desired domain). 
Wayne_Rimando
Level 1

Hi everyone,

We experience the same problem where webpage visits to other domains are tracked as anonymous leads. As per Jep's comments above, One way is to have the lead "tag" to the other domains by filling out a form or clicking a link in a Marketo email. I would like to check if these are still the workaround available or have there been other known solutions lately?

Regards,
Wayne
Jep_Castelein2
Level 10

@Wayne: this is still the same. It's not a limitation of Marketo, it's how the Web's privacy approach works (cookies aren't shared across domains). 
Wayne_Rimando
Level 1

@Jep: Thanks for the update.
Trish_Voskovitc
Level 5

bummer, we spent 3 years tagging people and now with a new domain we have to start all over. i had assumed if they were already tagged in marketo they would still be know leads after we changed our company name since they haven't moved and still have been munchkined on their computers. just seems crazy that if you change your company  name and all your customers and prospects are the same people and you are selling the same product and you have notified everyone about the name change that you can't track them to the new site as known site visitors.  the site will look the same but with a  different name and logo and the old pages just redirect to new site corresponding pages.  we aren't even adding new domain as subdomain but changin our main domain to the new domain.

seems there should be a way to register your new domain somewhere out there that it is basically the old domain with a new URL  so that you can share cookies - not like we are selling their names to a different company or trying to bait and switch them.

so now i have to tell sales that they will have no idea when their customers or prospects visit our website anymore and that none of our nurturing programs will work anymore (we add people as they visit site or specific pages) and that maybe in another 3 years they will get the data they are used to getting.. so very frustrating.

i know i can send an email to entire database asking them to click a link to recookie but the odds of anyone doing that are NIL. we never cookied them that obviously to begin with. it really needs to be more sublle and organic. they click on links when they are interested

thanks for letting me vent:)