ICS file in Outlook - Formatting

Anonymous
Not applicable

ICS file in Outlook - Formatting

I've created an ics "Add to Calendar" token in a program, and have placed it... it's working, except for Outlook seems to be opening it, and re-formatting random text (eg, the first person's name that's listed is large and blue). I went back, stripped out the text, put it into plain text, placed it back in the token and saved... hoping that might strip out any hidden formatting but, it's still occuring. Is this just a charming Microsoft Outlook auto-formatting, or is there a way I can fix the font in the ics file? It's a minor issue, but I hate to see anything awkward-looking with our name attached.

Thoughts on how to fix? 🙂 Thanks! - J
Tags (1)
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: ICS file in Outlook - Formatting

Also... seems like this feature doesn't work in the text version, or I'm doing something wrong. Will the ics token feature only work in HTML? Can't seem to get that to carry over in working fashion..
Anonymous
Not applicable

The ics file will only work in HTML, not text versions of the email.  Also, the formatting issue you describe seems to be a Microsoft formatting issue rather than an issue from Marketo.  You might try a new ICS file and ensure that you only copy/paste text from notepad (not Word).
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Cheryl!

Figured the formatting was a Microsoft Outlook issue... just not sure what's causing it. If anyone has any ideas on how I might tweak what I'm putting into Marketo, so that Outlook doesn't auto-format it, that'd be great (just not sure what's triggering it on Outlook's end.) I realize that's not a Marketo issue, but if anyone has solved that on their end in the past, let me know!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Are you cutting and pasting the text from somewhere?  If so, have you tried just typing it in directly?
Anonymous
Not applicable

I copy/pasted from Notepad/plain text. Usually that does the trick, but to no avail this time around. I'll keep trying! 🙂
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just to be safe, I re-created it, starting from scratch in Notepad, re-typing everything in (not copy/pasting anything). Copied from here and pasted into the token. Alas, Microsoft is still auto-formatting it, making it look odd. In case it's helpful, what's specifically happening is that at the bottom of the ics file content I have listed contact information for the two people who will be at the event. It's taking only the first person's name, and making it large, blue, and in a different font/format. I've seen this happen before in Outlook ics files (doing this to people's names) - but always figured the sender was just being sloppy (I take back all of my previous "tsk-ing!" as I now can't seem to make it behave appropriately for us.) 🙂

Here's a quick visual example of how it's converting mid-text (all of the above is that black sans-serif... then it hits this section, and Robin's name turns blue, big, and a serif font):

0EM50000000QFg5.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable

The calendar appointment token is a great idea, but it's a shame it doesn't work very well.  I have the same problem as this contributor.  The description box, where we habitually put the Venue, Address and Agenda for our seminars has some weird, screwy formatting errors in it.  I get the same as Jen, the large, blue, Times Roman font not created (or wanted) by me.  I have spent hours stripping out html, retyping addresses, adding tokens multiple times, testing, retesting and checking.

The best result we can get is a very plain, badly formatted item.  The formatting can change with just the addition or deletion of a line break.  Because there are no formatting tools, it is impossible to see where this is coming from.

Two support people have individually told me that nothing can be done (although one did helpfully recommend the website http://www.striphtml.com/.
Marketo_Marketo
Level 2

I'm looking into this.  I apologize for this poor experience.
Amber_Hobson
Level 9 - Champion Alumni

Did anyone ever get a response on this as to why Outlook is formatting the calendar oddly? I've tried copy/pasting from notepad and retyping to make sure that there is nothing that could potentially be causing it, but I'm still getting random headers that are blue and increased font throughout my calendar file.