SOLVED

Re: I removed these people from flow, but they're still getting our nurture emails

Go to solution
Dianna_Sadler
Level 2

I removed these people from flow, but they're still getting our nurture emails

Hello,

I created a nested program within a cadence stream for our Marketo nurture, but mid-way, (after 2 sends) we decided we needed to stop marketing to these people. I thought that by removing everyone from the flow, it would solve the problem, but this morning, we sent out the 3rd email.

There's no pause since I created as a campaign send (see NU/2019-02-01/Clean up Nurture). Can someone help me figure this out so I don't send a 4th email out?

Screen Shot 2019-02-13 at 12.03.14 PM.png

thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Ankit_Dua
Level 6

Re: I removed these people from flow, but they're still getting our nurture emails

I feel the best option will be to stop the Nurture and check the batch campaign again and also in the flow step ahead of wait " add remove people from flow ( the email address which you want to remove" ) to be double sure here.

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
Ankit_Dua
Level 6

Have you tried turning the program status "off" in the Setup Tab.

pastedImage_0.png

Dianna_Sadler
Level 2

there are others in the nurture that we might want to send ot (just a

subset we don't)

On Wed, Feb 13, 2019 at 12:24 PM Ankit D <marketingnation@marketo.com>

Stephen_Schmuhl
Level 1

You could try going into the Members tab and removing them individually using the Change Status to "Not in Program". Otherwise, I might review the triggered smart campaigns that you have adding members to the program because even if you removed them, the smart campaign may be adding them back in each time it runs.

Ankit_Dua
Level 6

Yes, this can be a possible case, have you made the settings of the campaign to be "Lead to Flow Everytime"? Because in this case a lead gets added to the program again even if you have removed them from flow.

Dianna_Sadler
Level 2

the original nested campaign nurture is If member of list is ...then send

these emails, however, when we realized we wanted to pause everyone

indefinitely, I went to view campaign members and removed from flow step.

I didn't run a smart campaign, I just did the remove from flow step (see

screenshot 3 below) and if you look at the qualified members tab, it shows

no members, so I thought it was done properly.

Does this shed more light?

On Wed, Feb 13, 2019 at 12:45 PM Ankit D <marketingnation@marketo.com>

Ankit_Dua
Level 6

What is the purpose of the triggered campaigns? Engagement, Entry Trigger, Re-entry Enagegement & Re-Entry Trigger? Are, these adding the leads again to the program?

pastedImage_0.png

Dianna_Sadler
Level 2

We have 3 nurture streams (theoretically 2)

1) New leads < MQL, nurture them (Gen nurture stream)

2)If they were worked, and then deemed to go back to nurture, send them

back to where they left off in the (Gen nurture stream)

Then we have this 3rd one that's giving me trouble.

A little background, our leads were all over the place in terms of status,

so we moved all our leads to a nurture status and started nurturing them so

that we can disposition them. I created it as a nested program within the

Gen Nurture stream so that if they get put back into re-nurture, we

wouldn't send them an email we already sent them - which are all the screen

shots you've seen.

As for the explanation of the smart campaigns.

Engagement just tells us if someone has engaged with our emails - nothing

to do with adding back to flow. Here's how they got into the stream. if

member of smartlist, send them email 1, wait 6 days, send email 2 wait 5

days....

Denise, re: "I don't see the required Member of Engagement Program filter

in your smart list (your 3rd screenshot) so I'm wondering if that campaign

is sending the emails out independently of the Engagement Program."

Yes, I think that's what's happening and I don't know how to stop it. Is

my best bet just to pause the entire engagement stream as first suggested?

entry points are`the screenshots below.

Re-entry means if they were a lead being worked but deemed nurture, they

get put back into the nurture stream.

Denise_Greenb12
Level 7

Hi Dianne,

I have some further thoughts/guesses about what might be going on with your Engagement Program but this is pretty hard to troubleshoot without seeing it.

1) My hypothesis that the smart campaign was sending the emails on it's own doesn't make sense because the campaign doesn't have a trigger. The only way it could do that is if you ran it as a batch campaign but you say it's in the stream.

2) Do you have a flow step that makes the people in the nested program members? E.g., change program status to "Sent"? If not, at the next engagement cast, the program will run again and the people you removed from the flow will qualify again (because they are still members of the smart list) and run through again.

3) I'm wondering if there might be a misunderstanding of how and why to use programs in a stream. You say you used the smart campaign so that you wouldn't send them an email you had already sent them. If you have emails in your other streams (as opposed to programs), and those same emails are being sent in another stream (not inside a nested program - just directly the stream), the Engagement Program won't send someone an email they already were sent before. In other words if Email A is in Stream 1 and Stream 3 and person B is sent Email A in Stream 1, then later person B is moved to Stream 3, Email A will be skipped for that person.

Denise

Denise_Greenb12
Level 7

Hi Dianna,

When you say "There's no pause since I created as a campaign send (see NU/2019-02-01/Clean up Nurture)", could you explain a little more about your setup? If the Smart Campaign inside "NU/2019-02-01/Clean up Nurture" that sends the email sequence is actually the Engagement Program stream then pause still applies. So the solution would be to change the Engagement Cadence to "Paused" for the people you want to stop sending to.

However, I don't see the required Member of Engagement Program filter in your smart list (your 3rd screenshot) so I'm wondering if that campaign is sending the emails out independently of the Engagement Program.

Could you please clarify?

Denise