SOLVED

Re: How to track clicks to 3 different assets

Go to solution
Aslihan_Ayan_Ha
Level 7

How to track clicks to 3 different assets

I have an engagement campaign with 7 touches that features 5 different main CTAs. I want to send the leads who clicked at 3 of any of  these CTAs at the end of the engagement campaign.  Any ideas? I would like to see how others will handle this campaign.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Alok_Ramsisaria
Level 10

We had a similar challenge for one of our customers. We had to create a custom Score field and do a +1 every time someone clicked a CTA in the different emails using separate smart campaigns. If you have different streams, you can choose to make this field = 0, when the lead is added to a new stream.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Alok_Ramsisaria
Level 10

We had a similar challenge for one of our customers. We had to create a custom Score field and do a +1 every time someone clicked a CTA in the different emails using separate smart campaigns. If you have different streams, you can choose to make this field = 0, when the lead is added to a new stream.

Aslihan_Ayan_Ha
Level 7

Things are complicated on my side. I do not have access to the admin to create custom fields. Open for any other options

Andy_Varshneya1
Level 9

I would actually avoid using custom fields because it can clog up your system very easily over time. Instead, go the Smart List route, paired with a trigger or batch campaign checking to see if someone is added to that list.

Use the Clicked Link in Email filter, set the Email criteria to be the 7 emails, set the Link criteria to the 5 CTA's, remove the time limit, and add Minimum Number of Times constraint.

Screen Shot 2015-12-08 at 9.35.13 AM.png

Obviously, it's throwing an error for me right now since those aren't valid emails, but that should at least get you an idea.

Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Yes, very good.

The only challenge is that someone could click 1 of those emails at least 3 times. If that's ok, great. Not saying that is super likely, but it does happen.

You could do some complex setup where each email click is listened for, then you figure out who clicked in at least 3 of those assets. Not a great alternative though.

Andy_Varshneya1
Level 9

Yup, and unfortunately thats a scenario you can't prepare for without building a very complex solution for something that'll rarely happen, so I think we're both on the same page about the effort vs reward.

Aslihan_Ayan_Ha
Level 7

Thanks everybody. I am worried about the multiple clicks since the pdf that is featured in the first email has also been included in the subsequent emails under footer notes.    I would like to explore more about what you mean by complex solution. Can you provide more insight to this?

Andy_Varshneya1
Level 9

Ashley Ayan​, what you'll have to do is setup a smart list for each possible combination of which there are 10, and then have one more smart list checking to see if the lead is a member of any of those smart lists, and finally a trigger or batch campaign that executes the specific action you're trying to run. So structurally, you're building something like this:

• IF Member of "Has Clicked 3+ Unique CTAs" THEN Sync to SFDC
    • Smart List: Has Clicked 3+ Unique CTAs (Member of any of the following smart lists)
      • Smart List: Has Clicked on 1, 2, and 3
      • Smart List: Has Clicked on 1, 2, and 4
      • Smart List: Has Clicked on 1, 2, and 5
      • Smart List: Has Clicked on 1, 3, and 4
      • Smart List: Has Clicked on 1, 3, and 5
      • Smart List: Has Clicked on 1, 4, and 5
      • Smart List: Has Clicked on 2, 3, and 4
      • Smart List: Has Clicked on 2, 3, and 5
      • Smart List: Has Clicked on 2, 4, and 5
      • Smart List: Has Clicked on 3, 4, and 5

Josh Hill​ correct me if there's a more efficient way.

Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Thanks Andy, that's where I was going with my comment. It's a bit of setup pain and I've had to do similar setup for clients. I just discourage this because it takes awhile to setup and I don't really see the point. I'd rather use Lead Score or Revenue Stage in complex nurture transitions like this.