Re: How to set up Lead Partitions

aravinth
Level 1

Hi Dan, 

I am also facing this issues and not able to see your solution. Would be helpful if you can send me to email chataravind@gmail.com 

Thanks,

Aravinth 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks guys for your prompt response!

Dan, you were saying that a "lead cannot exist in more than one partition".

It seems like this is where we are having challenges. Our Client has many business units and they want to keep everything separate. The same individual can become a member of any of the business units using the same email address.

If they unsubscribe in Marketo through PartitionA the Lead should not be unsubscribed in any of the other partitions.

Essentially, each bizUnit is like a completely independent organization. Marketo support recommended to use Lead Partitions but it seems like that may not be the correct solution.

Any thoughts?

Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Hi Peter - while leads cannot exist is more than one partition (in addition to the default partition), they can be shared across more than one workspace.  For example, our lead partitions are country-based.  But in some regions - like the Nordic region - all four countries (Sweden, Denmark, Norway and Finland) have access to each others lead partition since they often go to market as a single region as opposed to single countries.  With regards to the potential unsubscribe issues, you're better off creating a subscription center, rather than leverage lead partitions for this functionality.  There's no way around it when using a single instance of Marketo to represent multiple entities of a business.  When a lead unsubscribes, it will be unsubscribed across the entire instance (if using a single unsubscribe approach).

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Dan! I am getting closer to get a good understanding of how this works.

It sounds like we have to do the following:

1. work out how to create "duplicates" at the email level through API so that the same email address will have multiple LeadIDs.

2. Create a Subscription Centre for each workspace by creating a set of Subscription related fields with Workspace Name prefixes.

3. Make sure Marketo ignores the default 'Unsubscribe' field and uses the fields from point 2.

4. Make sure the Forms also collect and update information specific to each Workspace.

Amit_Jain
Level 8 - Community Advisor

Hi there, though it's a really old thread but still seems to be relevant to me. Can you please let me know what you finally did and how's it working? Did you face any challenge (major/minor) and how you overcome to those issues?

Thank you for your response.

Regards,
Amit

Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

so one of the secrets of this situation is you can ask Marketo Support to TURN OFF deduping by email address for Partitions. Once the setting is changed, Marketo will allow duplicates within single Partitions and not update a matching email address's record in another Partition. In other words, it won't throw this error.

Of course, if you upload data to a Workspace which can see more than one Partition, you will still encounter this issue.

You can also point your API connector to a specific Partition (by number) to create the same effect. I believe the Partition numbers start at 0 for Default (or 1?). Kinda forgot what Support said. They can find out for you.