SOLVED

Re: How to send one newsletter to different product users (segments)

Go to solution
Bing_Han
Level 1

How to send one newsletter to different product users (segments)

Hi 

We have three products and created the following segments: 

1. Product 1 
  2. Product 2 
  3. Product 3 
  4. all three products 
  5. Products 1+2 
  6. Products 1+3 
  7. Products 2+3 

We want to send one monthly newsletter to the above 7 segments. Initially we were thinking of using dynamic content, but then realized only content within the module can be edited and not the whole module. E.g. we want segment 4 to receive more module (content) than segment 2. Also, the button links in the modules cannot be dynamically updated. 

The only alternative we see is to create 7 separate emails and campaigns (rather than one dynamic email).  Wanted to see if there are other suggestions to solve this problem? 

Thank you 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Chris_Wilcox
Level 9

Hello!

A very common scenario! Easiest (in my personal opinion) is using Velocity script tokens. You could either 1) create all of the content blocks in a token, then show or hide the section based off of segment values, or 2) I've seen some people use velocity tokens between content section to actually comment out sections that should be hidden for specific segment values. The 2nd option would (I think) allow your users to still edit the content in the Marketo email editor, but you'd basically bookend each section of content with your script token that either adds or doesn't add the <!-- at the start and the --> at the end.

Here's a blog I wrote recently about getting started with Velocity if you've never used it. 

Here's a discussion from a while back talking about the second solution I talked about above.

Good luck! 

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Chris_Wilcox
Level 9

Hello!

A very common scenario! Easiest (in my personal opinion) is using Velocity script tokens. You could either 1) create all of the content blocks in a token, then show or hide the section based off of segment values, or 2) I've seen some people use velocity tokens between content section to actually comment out sections that should be hidden for specific segment values. The 2nd option would (I think) allow your users to still edit the content in the Marketo email editor, but you'd basically bookend each section of content with your script token that either adds or doesn't add the <!-- at the start and the --> at the end.

Here's a blog I wrote recently about getting started with Velocity if you've never used it. 

Here's a discussion from a while back talking about the second solution I talked about above.

Good luck!