How to restrict API calls just for KNOWN leads?

Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

How to restrict API calls just for KNOWN leads?

We're building a separate data warehouse - consisting of known behavioral data - and will be obtaining that data via the REST API.  This will be done each time a cookied visitor visits our site.  Since you can't grab the LEAD ID from the munchkin cookie, it sounds like we're going to have to make at least one API call for EVERY cookied user (using the cookie ID) just to see if a LEAD ID exists.  Obviously, that's a very inefficient process - and I can see us quickly exceeding the API call limit each day.  Does anyone have thoughts on how to do this more efficiently?

Tags (2)
5 REPLIES 5
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: How to restrict API calls just for KNOWN leads?

I'll write to you offline about how to use some undocumented stuff for this (meant to respond again to your email but I've been at clients all day).

Dan_Stevens_

No problem, Sandy - appreciate it!

Dan_Stevens_

Let's take another direction on this: what if we focus on both KNOWN and ANONYMOUS users.  When making an API call based on the cookie, does Marketo serve up engagement activity (e.g., web page visits) on anonymous leads, or is that no longer accessible based on the way Marketo hides anonymous leads until they become known?  We can certainly make a case where both known/anonymous user data would be beneficial for providing a more relevant user experience on our website.

Dan_Stevens_

Does anyone know if we can access anonymous lead data via the API (based on cookie value)?

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

You can't -- or perhaps I should say the intent is that you can't. The SOAP API could do this even when REST couldn't, but the intent of Munchkin 2.0 is for it to be impossible via either API. Still not clear on the "market share" of 2.0, though.