SOLVED

How to remove tracking from landing pages

Go to solution
Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

How to remove tracking from landing pages

We need to create an internal landing page that we can provide to our telemarketing team to directly submit the status of leads that are generated.  Since a single user will be entering multiple leads, we don't want this user to be tracked/cookied.  But I don't see anywhere within our landing page templates where the Munchkin code exists (so that we can create a version without the code).  Therefore, how do we create non-trackable landing pages?
Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: How to remove tracking from landing pages

@Dan Stevens The Munchkin code on a Landing Page Termplate is inserted via this line:

<?php echo $mContext['endElements']; ?>

Remove that line from the LPT to remove Munchkin tracking from resulting LP(s).

@David M If the Munchkin code is removed and prefill is disabled, the form can be reused.

View solution in original post

29 REPLIES 29
David_Mason1
Level 3

Dan: I assume you are using the form functionality in Marketo?? If so you can create a basic HTML page and embed the form on the page. Go to the form >> FORM ACTIONS >> EMBED CODE. Past this between the HTML <body> tags...

This is how to create a non-trackable page... though Marketo will likely cookie them via the form.

I hope this helps.
SanfordWhiteman

@Dan Stevens The Munchkin code on a Landing Page Termplate is inserted via this line:

<?php echo $mContext['endElements']; ?>

Remove that line from the LPT to remove Munchkin tracking from resulting LP(s).

@David M If the Munchkin code is removed and prefill is disabled, the form can be reused.
Dan_Stevens_

Thanks Sanford - this is exactly the information that I needed. 

@David, forms themselves cannot cookie leads.
Megan_Reed1
Level 4

I'm trying to accomplish something similar to Dan and have followed this directions (as well as https://community.marketo.com/MarketoDiscussionDetail?id=90650000000PbvcAAC) but am still having issues.

I removed <?php echo $mContext['endElements']; ?> from my landing page, tested it and was still tracked via the form fill out. 

In the other discussion it talks about removing the cookie from the form as well. I've:
  • put the form HTML on a blank dummy page so I can grab the code (approve the page and view source).
  • took out the hidden line that that looks like '<input type="hidden" name="munchkinId" value="xxx-xxx-xxx" /> '
  • pasted the form HTML back into my normal landing page
But the form does not display... Any advice for making this successful? 
Dan_Stevens_

By removing <?php echo $mContext['endElements']; ?>, all it's doing is removing the ability to cookie someone.  A form fillout will still be captured in Marketo (which is actually the only thing we want to happen - we want the lead to be entered into Marketo, but not cookie the user).  This allows our telemarketing coordinator to enter all leads herself and not worry about her browser being cookied with the Munchkin code - which, if cookied, would think she is the last person that she entered into the form.
Megan_Reed1
Level 4

That's similar to what I would like to accomplish too... A inside sales person with the ability to fill out a form with call results. I removed that piece of code and I'm still being cookied and tracked. It's ok to have the Web Filled Out Form activity under the activity log, but it also is showing web page visits. I can't figure out why... 
SanfordWhiteman

@Megan R Please post a link to your page (or a page with equivalent setup if you want to hide the URL).
Megan_Reed1
Level 4

Hi Sanford - The URL is http://offers.netgainit.com/phonecalls.html. 
SanfordWhiteman

@Megan R That page is not setting any cookies (whether or not you submit the form).  Are you sure the visits you're seeing aren't the Click events from a user who is is already cookied? 

That is, if you have a link to this test page from another page www.netgainit.com/forms.html and you do load Munchkin on www.netgainit.com (as you definitely should) then the link to the form will be considered an "exit link" and will be logged in the user's activity log.  That isn't the same as the phonecalls.html page logging its own activity.