SOLVED

Re: How to indentify list of unique email domains

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

How to indentify list of unique email domains

Here is my business case. I want to indentify list of unique email domains in my database. Is there a way it can be done?

Here are a couple of approaches I thought but ran in to roadblocks.

1> A lead preformance report would have been great fit here if I can group by a subset of email address field. i.e. domain name. But it is not supported to be grouped by a subset of a field value.

2> I thought there might be a way to use API to get this kind of data out. 
For example, by using getLead by EMAIL 
as explained here,
https://community.marketo.com/MarketoArticle?id=kA050000000L3FlCAK

The question is if this call returns the 'exact' match of the email address passed. Like Rajesh@BrightAspects.com
or
it returns all the records which 'contain' the string I pass. So I can pass just the domain name.such as @BrightAspects.com to get a list of all email addresses in the database from that domain.

There are a couple of other ways to solve this but I am not looking to use webhooks, create a new field and can not assime that all Marketo leads are also in SFDC. Any other ideas?

Thanks

Rajesh

Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jep_Castelein2
Level 10

Rajesh, you could use a new beta feature called "Munchtions" that allows you do add functions to Change Data Values. One function is "regex replace", which allows you to extract the domain from the email address (and many other things). This would be the syntax:

• Smart List
    • trigger: Lead is Created
    • trigger: data value changes, attribute is "email address"
    • filter: email address is not empty
  • Flow
    • Change Data Value, Attribute "email domain", new value: ##REGEX_REPLACE({{lead.Email Address}},"/.+(?<=@)/","")##
  • ​Schedule
    • ​Run every time

You will have to ask Support to enable this feature.

Once you have the domain in a separate field, it should be much easier to count the number of unique domains, for example a Lead Performance report grouped by "email domain" (time period: all time).

MODERATOR EDIT: This feature is only available for internal use.  Support is not able to enable this for customer use at this time.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
Edward_Unthank_
Level 10

The easiest way would be to create a smart list that has all known leads ("is anonymous" = false), create a new temporary view that just contains "email address," export the list, and then do quick calculations in Excel.

When you have it exported, you can do "text to columns" separated by "@" and then remove duplicates from the email domain column you just created. Select them in that column, and there's your count of unique email domains!

Edward Unthank | Founder, Etumos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Edward. I have used this method in past.

Unfortunately, it would not work here. I forgot to mention that we have several millions of lead records so exporting and manipulation using Excel or any database tool etc is not feasible.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

@Rajesh I can understand working on millions at once may not be feasible, but you can straightforwardly divide them into 36 already-unique buckets -- where mail contains @a, @b, @c... @8, @9.  Then aggregate across all the buckets. Kind of a hack, of course, but don't know of another way.
Dory_Viscoglio
Level 10

HI Rajesh, does this have to be done in Marketo? We pull our domain lists from SFDC which ends up being a much cleaner and easier to pull list. 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Dory, just curious what method do you use to do this in SFDC? 

@Rajesh, using the PowerPivot add-in (download for Excel 2010 or included with Excel 2013) you can manipulate even millions of data rows. 

The example sheet in the second link has 161 million rows. 
Jep_Castelein2
Level 10

Rajesh, you could use a new beta feature called "Munchtions" that allows you do add functions to Change Data Values. One function is "regex replace", which allows you to extract the domain from the email address (and many other things). This would be the syntax:

• Smart List
    • trigger: Lead is Created
    • trigger: data value changes, attribute is "email address"
    • filter: email address is not empty
  • Flow
    • Change Data Value, Attribute "email domain", new value: ##REGEX_REPLACE({{lead.Email Address}},"/.+(?<=@)/","")##
  • ​Schedule
    • ​Run every time

You will have to ask Support to enable this feature.

Once you have the domain in a separate field, it should be much easier to count the number of unique domains, for example a Lead Performance report grouped by "email domain" (time period: all time).

MODERATOR EDIT: This feature is only available for internal use.  Support is not able to enable this for customer use at this time.

Abaran
Level 5

Hi Jep

Great post. I got on ht trial list .

Once we have email domains in separate fields, how can I create a list for just domains in Marketo (no in excel).

I would like to be able then create a smart list of leads and check if any of the leads match the domain list described above.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Axel

Diego_Lineros2
Level 7

I used to have the Munchtions documentation somewhere, unfortunatelly I can't find it anymore, out of curiosity, do you still have it.?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Jep.
That's exactly I was looking for. It looked like a much needed and missing functionality gap to 'populate 'formula' fields based on other fields'. Glad that it is alredy thought of and created by smart brains at Marketo.

Rajesh