SOLVED

How to import list of dupes and capture data value changes for all dupes?

Go to solution
Revel_Systems__
Level 1

How to import list of dupes and capture data value changes for all dupes?

If you import a list with dupes. Marketo only dedupes and updates data values on the first record. Ignores the rest.

How can I import a content syndication list – AND have it process each dupe so that I can capture the data value changes for each dupe record. Use case: We upload content syndication lists of leads that have downloaded some content or another. Each content download should trigger an add to SFDC campaign. Sometimes these lists have dupes because the lead downloaded more than one content.

Perhaps it's not possible through list import. Might there be another way besides 1) deduping the list in Excel first and creating multiple lists, or 2) some sort of development solution?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Re: How to import list of dupes and capture data value changes for all dupes?

So that leaves you with the separate imports in distinct import lists

-Greg

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Jenn_DiMaria2
Level 10

Could you add each piece of content as a new checkbox field?

For example, you'd go into the Admin section and create a checkbox field about "Cat Lady Whitepaper". That way, when someone downloads the Cat Lady Whitepaper, you set off a trigger campaign that checks the checkbox and the lead is moved into the appropriate campaigns.

If so, then you can update your Excel spreadsheet, making sure each checkbox is a column where those who downloaded the content would be TRUE and those who didn't would be FALSE. If that makes sense.

It's at the end of the day on a Friday, and I'm sure I'm just babbling now

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi,

Of course, importing separate lists would perfectly work. You just need one field that will contain the content for a lead and use a "data value changes" trigger to process the addition to SFDC campaign. Instead of using a field, you could also use separate lists, one for each content, and use a "added to list" trigger.

Doing it programatically would also work, of course, either with a list addition or with a field update.

Of none of these aproaches are possible, I would elaborate something similar to Jennifer's proposition, but trying to limit the number of fields (keeping the data model under control is quite important).

Let's say for instance that, whatever the list, a given lead cannot be associated to more than 3 content, then I would only create 3 string fields called "content 1", "content 2" and "content 3" and set the values of these fields to the 2 contents the lead has been associated to. Then I would have 3 "data value changes" triggered smart campaigns, one for each field, that has choices to assign people to the right SFDC campaign.

Trick : in the smart campaign flows, start with a "change data value", field = "content 1" (or "content 2" or "content 3") and new value is NULL or "processed", so that the fields are reset just after processing.

If in the future you need to add a fourth field, that will be easy.

-Greg

Revel_Systems__
Level 1

HI all appreciate your ideas. I don't think adding additional fields for each piece of content is feasible either, since there'll always be more content. But I like the creativity!

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

So that leaves you with the separate imports in distinct import lists

-Greg