SOLVED

How to find out UTM parameters of the lead , when we haven't added them in hidden form fields?

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

How to find out UTM parameters of the lead , when we haven't added them in hidden form fields?

Hi Guys

I'm trying to find the following:

1.UTM source

2.UTM campaign

3.UTM medium

In the URL , the parameters have been properly given but i missed out on adding them in form fields (hidden). Now I'm trying to find out the above to know & differentiate form fills based on UTM parameters.

Kindly advise me & let me know if there is a way for me to find out the referrer URL and parameters through which lead has filled out the form

Thanks

Prithvi

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Balkar_Singh
Level 9 - Champion

Re: How to find out UTM parameters of the lead , when we haven't added them in hidden form fields?

Prithvi Kumar​ - I would suggest using Querystring here instead of Referrer, and use "Contains" instead of "is" - this can get you close to what you want, but as Floyd points out, this won't be 100% accurate - you would essentially get the same lead in different smart lists due to multiple variations, however you'll need to decide a winning source.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Floyd_Alvares2
Level 8

Re: How to find out UTM parameters of the lead , when we haven't added them in hidden form fields?

Hi Prithvi,

You could try running a smart list with "Filled out Form" and "Referrer" is the specific URL with the utm parameters. Of course this means that you will need to run multiple variations and it may also not be accurate if a record has filled out the form multiple times through different UTM sources.

Unfortunately, at the moment I cannot think of any other way you could identify this information without going into the form activity and extracting the referrer URL.

Hopefully others have a better alternative.

Thanks

Floyd

Balkar_Singh
Level 9 - Champion

Prithvi Kumar​ - I would suggest using Querystring here instead of Referrer, and use "Contains" instead of "is" - this can get you close to what you want, but as Floyd points out, this won't be 100% accurate - you would essentially get the same lead in different smart lists due to multiple variations, however you'll need to decide a winning source.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Balkar Singh​. It works well for me!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Floyd Alvares

Thanks for your suggestion.

Regards

Prithvi

Jon_Bourne
Level 2

Hi Prithvi. You may also wish to consider a different methodology for capturing UTM parameters in Marketo. We use a script that writes the UTM values to a cookie in case the person does not convert while on the page with the UTM query string, then write the cookie values into the hidden fields. The script even adds the hidden fields if they are not present, so you do not need to add them manually or miss out if they're not present. This blog post explains the UTM tracking script and Marketo setup.

Tara_Petre
Level 5 - Champion Alumni

+1 to Balkar's response - but be careful with what you do with this information. If you're using it to retroactively apply successes aligned to each channel, you might have some issues in your attribution reporting because those reports rely on the datestamp of the successful status change.