How to define and manage new Custom Object and it's association with Lead/Campaign/Program?

Anonymous
Not applicable

How to define and manage new Custom Object and it's association with Lead/Campaign/Program?

I would like to understand more on Custom Object management and usage.

## What are the steps to define a NEW Custom Object?
1) Manually by user
2) Programmatically (via API) - this is preferred but could NOT find an API for the same
 Kindly illustrate or provide document references.

## How can I associate a Lead and Program/Campaign with a specific Custom object record.  For example, can we design Custom Object as below - where a lead is participating in many programs/campaigns and has specific info for each record?
  - leadId (maps to ID of lead)
  - programId or campaignId (maps to ID of lead)
  - webinarID
  - webinarSubject
  - dateTime

Here, the Custom Object holds data for lead from each campaign/program participated in specific webinar.

## As per above design,
  - Does Marketo validate mapping between Lead (id field) and Custom Object (leadId field) ?
  - Does Marketo validate mapping between Campaign/Program (id field) and Custom Object (campaignId/programId field) ?
   - Custom Object > Can we define a combination of leadId & campaign/programId as unique constraint/key

## Using Email Scripting
  - An Email script can be referred from Email Template. At runtime, what is the scope in which the Email script runs?
   - Can Email script look up a specific (unique) Custom Object record (as per above data structure)? If yes, then kindly illustrate.

Thanks in advance.

Tags (1)
3 REPLIES 3
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Re: How to define and manage new Custom Object and it's association with Lead/Campaign/Program?

I suggest visiting developers.marketo.com.

A custom object can be defined in Admin > SFDC > Custom Object Sync

I think there are other ways.
Justin_Norris1
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Re: How to define and manage new Custom Object and it's association with Lead/Campaign/Program?

Currently you cannot define your own Marketo-only custom object via the user interface -- you can only sync a custom object already created in a CRM, like Josh described. 

However, the functionality to create your own Marketo custom objects is coming! http://customerexperiencematrix.blogspot.ca/2015/04/marketo-adds-custom-objects-its-big.html

I don't think there is yet an API call to create a custom object. Currently you need to work with support to get it done. 

Justin Norris | Perkuto
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Josh and Justin for the quick Answers..

Since our app is NOT based on CRM, we can not sync Custom Objects. And with NO API support, the ONLY way to set it up on user's account is by the Marketo support team.

So now our app team has to work with Markerto Support team for Each User Account... which will be a cumbersome task. 

Any other alternatives? My requirement is very simple i.e. A lead can participate in multiple webinars and when sending personalize Email to each Lead; we want to send webinar information.

Thanks..