Re: How to de-select a value from a multi-select field?

Jessica_Sprink3
Level 1

How to de-select a value from a multi-select field?

Hi all, we have a Solution Engagement field to keep track of all the products that prospects are engaged with. I'm already using this sort of workflow to populate new products into the Solution Engagement field: Handling Multi-Select Fields in Salesforce

But what I want to know is, how can I de-select a value that's already populated on a prospect's record? For example, if a sales person calls the prospect and decides they're not a good fit for Product A, how do I remove that value from the Solution Engagement field without nulling out other values in that field? (i.e. I don't think I can just say Change Data Value, change to NULL). Thanks!

13 REPLIES 13
Helen_Abramova1
Level 5

Hi Jessica,

You can perfectly say Change value ABC=NULL. This should work - I am doing it all the time

Helen

Jessica_Sprink3
Level 1

Hi Helen! But won't that null out ALL values? If I have A;B;C as values, I only want to take away A, leaving B and C...

Helen_Abramova1
Level 5

Oh I see. No, that won't work then. How do you store the values? In the text area?

Jessica_Sprink3
Level 1

Yes - in this format - A;B;C which then checks the relevant values in the Salesforce multi-select picklist. Can't for the life of me figure it out! May need to handle in Salesforce.

Helen_Abramova1
Level 5

I would suggest considering creating custom fields for A, B, C and keep them updated dynamically. If you need to keep them in one field, then you can use tokens to concatenate and update the target field. Multi-select is not well supported by Marketo. Building all the choices seem too much pain.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

The way to do this is via webhook, which can parse semicolon-delimited (or anything-delimited) strings and return them with certain values excised.

Jessica_Sprink3
Level 1

Sanford, this is great - do you have an example of how this is done? Haven't parsed things in this way before. Thanks!!

Jay_Jiang
Level 10

How are you triggering the data value changes flow?

i.e. how are you selecting which value inside the multi picklist to take out?

or is this data hygiene that you'd run manually?

Anyway here's a php webhook that does the trick:

<?php

if(isset($_POST['data']) && isset($_POST['var'])){

$data = $_POST['data'];                                // e.g. "product a;product b;product c;product d;"

$var = $_POST['var'];                                  // e.g. "product c"

$response = preg_replace( "/$var\;/", "", $data);      // gives "product a;product b;product d;"

echo json_encode(array("response"=>$response));        // In Marketo map 'response' to update multi select field
}
?>

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Will both false positive and mangle output on partial match, you must  split on the delimiter