SOLVED

Re: How to change sales owner and account owner fields to import data into them manually.

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

How to change sales owner and account owner fields to import data into them manually.

We are currently in the process of switching CRM systems, and are not planning on syncing them with Marketo anytime soon. We are new to Marketo, and are just setting everything up. As we are importing data, we have noticed that we are not able to manually upload info into the Sale Owner field and the Account Owner field. To by pass this, I am trying to create all custom field with similar naming, and hide the original Marketo field.

However, one of the original fields is not letting me hide it, as it's being used in multiple areas. This is the Sales owner First name field. When I look at the places in which it is used in, I can not figure out how to change it as it is referring to some of the email alert tokens. {{Lead.Owner First name}} to be specific. How can I assign my custom field to be connected to the token {{Lead.Owner First Name}}

Perhaps there's a better solution for our problem? any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

PS: Pleas take it easy on me, I am a Marketo newby

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Grant_Booth
Level 10

Re: How to change sales owner and account owner fields to import data into them manually.

Those are system fields which do a lookup to the account owner or lead owner in the CRM - in other words its read-only to the CRM. You can use a custom field to designate what lead is owned by who, like you described, but keep in mind that data will *not* sync up to your CRM. To hide the original field, you'll have to edit whatever alerts use its token to use the new custom field's token instead. For example if you called the custom field "Owner First Name", you would need to change the alert to use {{lead.Owner First Name}} (and don't forget to approve the draft!). Once all of the references to the field are removed you *should* be able to hide it - unless there's something in Marketo which specifically prevents this since it's a built-in field (I've never tried).

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Devraj_Grewal
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Asia,

Welcome to Marketo.

Sales Owner First Name is a system field and cannot be updated via a change data value. The field can be updated, but that is only if the actual Sales Owner is updated, which the system would then update the field Sales Owner First Name. This is the same with Account owner as well.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you!

Grant_Booth
Level 10

Those are system fields which do a lookup to the account owner or lead owner in the CRM - in other words its read-only to the CRM. You can use a custom field to designate what lead is owned by who, like you described, but keep in mind that data will *not* sync up to your CRM. To hide the original field, you'll have to edit whatever alerts use its token to use the new custom field's token instead. For example if you called the custom field "Owner First Name", you would need to change the alert to use {{lead.Owner First Name}} (and don't forget to approve the draft!). Once all of the references to the field are removed you *should* be able to hide it - unless there's something in Marketo which specifically prevents this since it's a built-in field (I've never tried).

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you! The quick reply is much appreciated