Re: How to avoid exceeding API call limit, because of (one off) bulk email

Valerie_Whitin2
Level 5

Hi Gregoire,

We're actually not entirely sure why it makes us hit those limits either. The triggers used to force the sync are based on lead activities (clicks email, visits web page, form fill, interesting moments etc.). We have removed all interesting moments tied to email activity to see if that would help mitigate the issue, but it hasn't. And as awesome as I think our emails are, we aren't getting that many email clicks or visits off our email blasts. So, we aren't exactly sure why the full email list is being synced when we send email blasts. Marketo support hasn't been much assistance in figuring this out, other than telling us we could buy more API calls.

Oh also, I should mention that we are using Muv as our integration partner (between Marketo and NetSuite).

Valerie

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Valerie,

And as awesome as I think our emails are, we aren't getting that many email clicks or visits off our email blasts.

It might be because one of your leads is clicking many times (antispam do) and is triggering the sync multiple times. Try to add a time limit (run once every ...) to your trigger.

-Greg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah that's how we're trying to avoid the limit right now as well, but it's vulnerable for mistakes and quite some work.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you explored if disabling sync temporarily is an option with your Netsuite <> Marketo integration?

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Would be simple to disable the Marketo API user (though not programmatically yet) but then you're depriving yourself of the data when you need it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How would I be able to disable the API user? And wouldn't this conflict all information send through Munchkin? And therefor kill all other workflows as well. Some of the flows we use are about usage on our platform.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Munchkin API calls are not counted toward your daily REST and SOAP limit. So I don't see the relevance. You need to be explicit about everything you're doing as none of us can figure out why API consumption is necessary. Tell us everything you're doing with the API: which endpoints you're calling and why.

Anonymous
Not applicable

They aren't counted as our daily limit? Wow than I'm a bit lost as well.

How will I ever be able to explain everything than happens in our instance, I will have to dive in to it now, because I have no idea why this amount is rising so much with bulk mails. Any idea how and where I can get a look in the individual calls?

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

HI Ronald,

In the admin->webservices, if you click the number of API consumed, you will have the detail per API user. Hopefully (and this is strongly recommended), you will have different users for the various applications.

-Greg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks all of you for contributing to a solution and better understanding from my side.

I've seen that area before, unfortunately there isn't much distinction between functionalities that we use.

That's why I always thought it must have been the Munchkin code. Any other ideas?