How to allow readers subscribe for different types of emails newsletters, webinars, product updates, etc AND frequency

Anonymous
Not applicable

How to allow readers subscribe for different types of emails newsletters, webinars, product updates, etc AND frequency

Is there a way to allow readers to subscribe for different types and frequency of mailings? 

For example, a person can only subscribe to receive newsletters but will be EXCLUDED from any other messages like webinar invites, productg updates, etc.

Also, when someone goes to unsubscribe is there a way to:
- Allow them to decrease frequency of emails
- Allow them to choose which types of emails they want to receive (once again, if receiving ALL emails, can select to just receive newsletters only)

Thanks!!
Tags (1)
7 REPLIES 7
Kim_Allen
Level 10

Re: How to allow readers subscribe for different types of emails newsletters, webinars, product updates, etc AND frequency

Hey Natasha! Sounds like you are working towards making an email preference center...

You would want to create a landing page and form (or use iframe depending what your set up is like), and on the form list the different option types (ex: newsletters, press releases, etc). You should also be able to do frequency in the same way.

Then you would make smart lists for this preference center. Ex: one titled "Newsletter Opt in (or out, whichever way you want to set it up)" - If newletter = true. Then each time you send a newsletter you remember that this is the list you use or rather if you go the opt out route, make sure to exclude that smart list each time (if you clone, it's easy).
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How to allow readers subscribe for different types of emails newsletters, webinars, product updates, etc AND frequency

I'm with Kim on this one. You're talking about a preference center.

On the back-end I would encourage you to create multiple pre-built tracks - like with an egagement program - and then route people to the appropriate program (or content stream) based on their preference. Otherwise there is a risk of going nuts trying to keep track of everyone's preferences and your email campaigns.
Kim_Allen
Level 10

Well hey there Grant.

Pre-built tracks is a great idea!
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

You can handle frequency in a couple of ways:

1. Use marketo's admin tool, this doesn't let the user choose.

2. Tell people how often you will send each type of email.

3. Setup a field to handle the frequency: every day, weekly, monthly.
then you need to have smart lists monitoring for each frequency plus the type of email, which requires you to have a solid naming structure in place. You can then add Member of Smart List NOT IN for your next email. 

You might also try a Last Sent Date for each type of subscription option.

#3 is hard to ensure accuracy, so plan it out carefully.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you so much to everyone for providing suggestions! I will give this a try!
Anonymous
Not applicable

One more clarification - is there a video tutorial on how to set this up?

Thanks!
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Natasha,
I think there's a small part about Preference Center's in Josh's guide (http://www.marketingrockstarguides.com/marketo-guide-now-free-open-sourced-1400/) but I don't know how long and detailed.

But I don't know any video.

Best regards

Steffen