Re: How to Use Custom Objects with Duplicate Leads

Wyatt_Bales4
Level 4

How to Use Custom Objects with Duplicate Leads

Use Case: Display Transaction Tables for each Store within an Email (this part has been solved with #foreach)

Catch: In SFDC, the same Contact Email Address owns multiple stores, thus syncs over as 5 duplicates. If the "Has Transaction Data" smart list pulls the first created record, that doesn't guarantee that record is the one tied to the custom object.

Question: How do ensure my emails still render correctly even though there are duplicate records?

I understand I could change the Sync_to_Marketo flag = FALSE on all but one of the duplicate records but that is a last resort. I tried using the Email Address and a unique ID as the link fields within the custom object but again, I believe Marketo's smart list batch functionality pulls the first created record in.

Appreciate any thoughts/ideas.

4 REPLIES 4
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Could you flag the correct record in SFDC and use that as a filter?

Wouldn't you be able to associate based on SFDC ID?

Wyatt_Bales4
Level 4

I've already tried using similar unique qualifier. The issue is, Marketo's smart list aren't only bringing back that record--it brings back the oldest version of that record.

One thing I can try testing is if a duplicate record is created, backdate the Created Date on the record I want to tie the custom object to. This would prove if Marketo truly only qualifies the oldest duplicate in batch campaigns.

Srujan_Vishwana
Level 4

Hi Wyatt Bales

I'd recommend the following approaches:

• Use the Updated At filter to show up only the latest record thereby avoiding any old duplicates showing up
  • Use the Possible duplicates system smart list and consider the active record and ignore the other four duplicates

Let me know if that works.

Regards,

Sru

Wyatt_Bales4
Level 4

Thanks for the tips, Sru. Actually ended up using a similar constraint on the custom object (a date field). I think your additional 2 recommendations will help narrow things down should this design also lead to poor performing scripts.

I'll post back once we have some more testing under our belt.